feeding distillers grains

Help Support CattleToday:

hayrack

Reaction score
If you were going to mix one other commodity feed with distillers for feeder calves what would it be? What would be the most economical and get the best rate of gain? They can be bought in trailer loads and mixed in a reel auggie wagon.

hayrack":raoxtj14 said:
If you were going to mix one other commodity feed with distillers for feeder calves what would it be? What would be the most economical and get the best rate of gain? They can be bought in trailer loads and mixed in a reel auggie wagon.

Wet distillers or dry.... nothing is economical right now. Some things are just not quite as high as other things. I'd probably buy soyhulls.

TexasBred":1fg0hczb said:
hayrack":1fg0hczb said:

Wet distillers or dry.... nothing is economical right now. Some things are just not quite as high as other things. I'd probably buy soyhulls.
The distillers is wet. I know everything is high but seems like there should be something out there that will do the job but is economical too. We have used rice hulls before but they have little feed value and just fiber really and have used gin trash which is better but is a seasonal thing pretty much.

Rice hulls is also extremely low quality fiber. Hardly digestible at all. Even they probably cost $60-80 a ton now and if you ahve a breeze they'll all blow away in one day. Last price I saw on soyhulls was well over $200 a ton but at least you get digestible fiber, good energy levels and adequate protein. They would also allow you to feed less of the DDG. Gin trash will be available as soon as ginning starts. I'd grab hold of it asap.

Have you thought about shredded news paper? I dont know about todays inks being poisonous or not. In the 50s Drouth my Pop fed shredded news paper sprinkled with molasses to hold the cotton seed meal on it. It kept the cows alive.
dont know how the news print would compare price wise with soy hulls. Might be worth a phone call or two.

baleflipper":1zaigtxo said:
Have you thought about shredded news paper? I dont know about todays inks being poisonous or not. In the 50s Drouth my Pop fed shredded news paper sprinkled with molasses to hold the cotton seed meal on it. It kept the cows alive.
dont know how the news print would compare price wise with soy hulls. Might be worth a phone call or two.
Sounds like "Pop" was simply using the paper as a carrier because otherwise it has no value especially the "BS" usually printed on it. ;-) The CSM kept the calves alive andI guess the paper kept them feeling like they were full.