Feeding cows

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How much corn shold be fed to 4 cows per day now thru winter and should they get any grain besides corn just want to keep them healthy this winter i know i will have to feed hay pasture is already poor. live in western ky.

Thank you so much for your advise.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

For livestock in general in winter, especially ruminants and horses, HAY is most important feed. Digestion process generates lot of internal heat they need to keep warm. They should enter winter period in good condition; then, its easier to maintain condition. Probably figure 1/4 to 1/3 small square bale per day per 1000#s of animals. Supplement with breeder (Range) cubes for extra protein and minerals. When grass is poor, hay should be available at all times, especially if you have a round bale feeder. Otherwise, would recommend feeding most of their hay in evening for nighttime colder hours.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

did you grow the corn or are you going to buy it. when we grew corn we would take and grind it with and minerals to make our own feed.if you are going to buy feed i feed 50/50 or 20% range cubes to get a better balance of nutrients. they do need all the hay they can eat, you can feed hay free choice and protien spplements work well too for dry cows.
> How much corn shold be fed to 4
> cows per day now thru winter and
> should they get any grain besides
> corn just want to keep them
> healthy this winter i know i will
> have to feed hay pasture is
> already poor. live in western ky.

> Thank you so much for your advise.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> did you grow the corn or are you
> going to buy it. when we grew corn
> we would take and grind it with
> and minerals to make our own
> feed.if you are going to buy feed
> i feed 50/50 or 20% range cubes to
> get a better balance of nutrients.
> they do need all the hay they can
> eat, you can feed hay free choice
> and protien spplements work well
> too for dry cows.

To Jim Cox: I am buying my corn it is cracked. Thanks alot for your reply.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I use a round bale feeder and the cows are putting on to much weight. It's going to be hard on them to calf next year if they keep this up won't it? How does one control the feeding of a round feeder? Thanks!
 
OP
A

Anonymous

The only method I know of is to limit the access to the feeder. Pen them out when you don't want them eating. What kind of hay are you feeding that they are gaining so much weight?

dun

> I use a round bale feeder and the
> cows are putting on to much
> weight. It's going to be hard on
> them to calf next year if they
> keep this up won't it? How does
> one control the feeding of a round
> feeder? Thanks!
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> The only method I know of is to
> limit the access to the feeder.
> Pen them out when you don't want
> them eating. What kind of hay are
> you feeding that they are gaining
> so much weight?

> dun

Just plain out old grass hay, but they eat 24-7. I also give them 1/2 can each of a one pound coffee can of steer feed once a day.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Do you have an analysis of the hay? If the cows are bored they may eat all day. Of course that's better then knocking down fences or finding some other mischeif I suppose. Fat is also a relative thing. It's kind of trickey at times but if you can do a Body Conditions Score (BCS) evaluation you can more or less determine how they are actaully gaining. If you do a google earch for "beef cattle body condition score" you should get a bunch of hits and one or more of them will have pictures that will make it all more or less clear. Smaller cows also require less feed to stay in condition or gain weight. Some are also just more efficient feed converters. We have a young cow that as heifer weaned a 596 lb heifer this year as a three year old her calf weaned at 620. By the time her calf is weaned she looks like a Holstein she is so boney and poor looking, she's a Red Angus. In just the 3 weeks since her calf was weaned she has gained a half a BCS. All the others have put on a little condition but not near as spectacularly as she has. When the vet preg checks her he's alwasy surprised that in her poor condition she settles on time and first service and maintaines the pregnancy.

dun

> Just plain out old grass hay, but
> they eat 24-7. I also give them
> 1/2 can each of a one pound coffee
> can of steer feed once a day.
 
Top