Feeding Cows Today

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
Had to back out to the cows today to keep the bale on my rear spear. Pushing 3 1/2' in last 48 hours. Consumption is up but other than that, cows are fine. Had to drive some trails for them to make sure they can keep getting to the low spot and back to the hay rings and water. Thankful for our artesian springs.

Wish i had artesian springs. Gonna be -7 tomorrow am. water heaters are fighting to keep up. Moved all the cattle to one waterer to keep things flowing a little better. Don't think the cows mind the -7 as much as the 25 mph wind.

The wind is definitely the killer. High for the next week here is 14. Gonna be tough going with this combo of snow and then bitter cold. Usually its one or the other for us.

If the cows are dry and have a good winter haircoat, they don't really have any temperature stress down to about 18F... below that, it takes about 2% more energy to maintain condition for every 1degreeF you go down.
But!!! if they're WET... that critical cold temperature is about 56F

Lucky_P":2t57k8wp said:
If the cows are dry and have a good winter haircoat, they don't really have any temperature stress down to about 18F... below that, it takes about 2% more energy to maintain condition for every 1degreeF you go down.

It was a balmy 9 F here today but the wind had died down and the sun was out. Didn't seem to bother them a bit.

Lucky_P":2y95n7sz said:

Are icicles hanging off their belly hair a sign they've been wet? :lol2:

I don't know how cattle can handle that weather. Are you still only feeding just hay? You definitely have the right cattle for your environment and market. Keep up the good work, stay warm and thanks for the pictures.

Thank you so much for the pictures. Cannot believe I gripped about tagging all the new calves this morning at 40 degrees. Wish I had seen these pictures first.

True Grit Farms":13lowf8c said:
I don't know how cattle can handle that weather. Are you still only feeding just hay? You definitely have the right cattle for your environment and market. Keep up the good work, stay warm and thanks for the pictures.

Vince, still just hay. If I didn't hAve to go backwards because of the snow depth and dig out my gates and take pictures for you Southerners, today wouldn't have been any different as far as feeding goes. They certainly do lose a little condition throughout the year but if one of them can't handle it with the rest of the group, she doesn't stay. That has meant pretty high turnover but we are culling less each year. Management can always improve but my quality of feed won't improve much for the general herd.

Lucky_P":q9nnhw6z said:

Well, maybe for a southern cow, I don't think that's the case up north.

True Grit Farms":204q9mmb said:
I don't know how cattle can handle that weather. Are you still only feeding just hay?

I started adding 3 lb per head per day of corn to go with 1st cut hay since my cows are nursing (or I give just 2nd cut hay to nursing cows). Heifers only get first cut hay. Cows still look good. The wind or rain is the bad part. I think they could do -1 all day long in the sun and calm winds. Think they might actually prefer it. Definitely prefer -1 and calm to 35 and raining. at -20 windchill, maybe it's a tossup.

The deep snow is actually a blessing for the cows. They just lay down & snuggle up. The snow insulates them and helps keep them warm. Not sure how much distance between your place & mine, but I only have an inch or two. Would love to have a foot of snow. Much better for their feet & warmth.
The heavy snow is harder on US then it is for them - except for moving around from place to place. You need to drive around & make "trails" for them. But, with heavy winds, they fill in almost immediately. No relief in site this whole week as far as temperatures.
We only feed hay - all 1st cut, which is normally really, really good baleage, but with all our rains, my fist cutting was made end of July. Not tested, but I "know" the food value isn't what it needs to be - especially when they start milking. All due 1-1 to 3-6. Oh well, might not be in top condition, but should do OK. Hopefully, does not hurt AI program.

Latest posts