Feeding cows the cheap and easy way

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
This is JedStivers way of feeding cows cheap and easy all the feed cost is the hauling it 8 miles and he has his own trucks and it is some really good feed
feedingcows.jpg

Jeds.jpg

feed.jpg

cheapfeed.jpg

Angus Cowman":3o700ft8 said:
it is cotton
most of this load was wet cotton and a little gin trash most of the time he feeds gin trash but won't turn whole cotton away as it is even better

Looks like he's gonna have about 90% waste before it's all over.

Around here we have to be careful when feeding it around calving. It has a high Calcium and High Potassium level which can trigger milk fever issues. We feed a high salt, high Mag supplement with it.
Also if its mostly gin trash the usable protein levels can be too low(as low as 3%).

Wish I only had to haul it 18 miles- I don't think its a great feed on its own but I do like it mixed in a TMR.

TexasBred":271otr4x said:
Angus Cowman":271otr4x said:
it is cotton
most of this load was wet cotton and a little gin trash most of the time he feeds gin trash but won't turn whole cotton away as it is even better

I was going to say 75% but either way it will be alot.

Howdyjabo":eg2dzeds said:
Around here we have to be careful when feeding it around calving. It has a high Calcium and High Potassium level which can trigger milk fever issues. We feed a high salt, high Mag supplement with it.
Also if its mostly gin trash the usable protein levels can be too low(as low as 3%).

Wish I only had to haul it 18 miles- I don't think its a great feed on its own but I do like it mixed in a TMR.
Adding Na and Mg is only adding fuel to the fire in my opinion. You already have a high level of cations and your adding more. You need to be putting anions in to bring the balance of cations/anions more in balance.

Howdyjabo":3mqcx0jg said:

Not high protein but works great when you're in a drought or can't afford hay. Most of the protein comes from WCS that remain in the burr during ginning. Usually will carry a guarantee of 8% if you buy it from a broker. Makes a pretty good ration mixed with corn and a source of protein.

TexasBred":3m2myhzn said:
Angus Cowman":3m2myhzn said:
it is cotton

I have seen where he fed it last yr and I would say he might of had 20% waste when it is all said and done

and another point of him doing it this way is he dumps it on weak soil and what is left then rots and is used to build the soil up so in actuality there is NO waste because it is either used by the cows or incorporated into the soil to improve the soil

Angus Cowman":3k6picpq said:
and another point of him doing it this way is he dumps it on weak soil and what is left then rots and is used to build the soil up so in actuality there is NO waste because it is either used by the cows or incorporated into the soil to improve the soil

Only question I would have is "would he feed it this way if he were having to buy it"????

I also wonder about those areas in the "pile" that look like nothing but pure WCS. WCS is never suppose to be fed free choice as it can be fatal. I figure they'll stomp at least 40% in the ground, crap and pee on another 40% or more and eat and sleep on what hasn't been contaminated.

TexasBred":9a06g9zl said:
Angus Cowman":9a06g9zl said:

Only question I would have is "would he feed it this way if he were having to buy it"????

I also wonder about those areas in the "pile" that look like nothing but pure WCS. WCS is never suppose to be fed free choice as it can be fatal. I figure they'll stomp at least 40% in the ground, crap and pee on another 40% or more and eat and sleep on what hasn't been contaminated.

I would say you are probably right on that.

TexasBred":wv6hgmwj said:
Angus Cowman":wv6hgmwj said:

I can post now, (bout time) it's not WCS it's wet cotton that has been thrown in the trash pile and gin trash. If we had to buy it yes we would feed it differently but it is a waste product that is an expense for the gin to get rid of. This is the way it has been feed for years around here, we will start putting it in modules but now it is wet and it has to be dry to do that. As far as waste we haul many more loads for fertlizer than we do for feed so in that respect it is zero waste.

jedstivers":3784o8d0 said:
TexasBred":3784o8d0 said:
Angus Cowman":3784o8d0 said:

I can post now, (bout time) it's not WCS it's wet cotton that has been thrown in the trash pile and gin trash. If we had to buy it yes we would feed it differently but it is a waste product that is an expense for the gin to get rid of. This is the way it has been feed for years around here, we will start putting it in modules but now it is wet and it has to be dry to do that. As far as waste we haul many more loads for fertlizer than we do for feed so in that respect it is zero waste.

Can cows eat cotton clothes for nutition if they were shredded?

I also wonder about those areas in the "pile" that look like nothing but pure WCS. WCS is never suppose to be fed free choice as it can be fatal. I figure they'll stomp at least 40% in the ground, crap and pee on another 40% or more and eat and sleep on what hasn't been contaminated.[/quote]

I can post now, (bout time) it's not WCS it's wet cotton that has been thrown in the trash pile and gin trash. If we had to buy it yes we would feed it differently but it is a waste product that is an expense for the gin to get rid of. This is the way it has been feed for years around here, we will start putting it in modules but now it is wet and it has to be dry to do that. As far as waste we haul many more loads for fertlizer than we do for feed so in that respect it is zero waste.[/quote]

Can cows eat cotton clothes for nutition if they were shredded?[/quote]

Prol. not much nutrition left in them an no seed at all.

Jed...my oversight...should have read more closely. Without the seed in it you should have no probelms at all....pour it to them...(just don't let the gin know they're giving away something that people in other parts pay good money for ;-) )