feeding cows p-nut butter

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm said:
I picked up a couple barrels last week and cut the drums in half . The first day all the cows and horses were eating it like crazy. I pulled it after about 8 hrs and they had ate probably 40lbs Between 48 head. I put it back out the next day and they were not as eager to eat it all up. I would see one licking it and then go back to the hay. The 300 lb lasted 4 days. Compared to a 20% protein 200 lb they will eat it up in day.

I think this is normal.

I feed various different feeds, if I restrict and put it out once a day, they will eat it like no tomorrow, it is a rush to get down as much before the others have a fair share :)

If I put out a lot of the same feed where they can get it at will, they will mooch around, one or two have a go here and there etc etc, I think this is normal animal behavior.

So if supplementing and have a formula, it is prob better to ration it out and restrict, you can also then make sure they have something else first if reqd or at same time.

I have to ask, how do you cut in half and not get plastic all through the feed ? When you mentioned peanut butter, my only thoughts were, how hard it would be to feed out & more so if measured, unless dumping in a mixer along with volumes of other feed, would be a bastard in winter, no ?

Latest posts