Feeding Cost

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
Wanted to do some budgeting to see how much my cows were going to cost me over the course of the year. This is what I came up with, feel free to add and cretique (?sp) the list.

P.S. I have 5 cows and lease a bull, and not paying for pasture.

Hay - $300 (round bales @ $25 a bale)
Feed - $300 ($198 a ton)
Mineral/Salt - $240 (40lb. min. block @$16.5/50lb. salt @ $4.7)

If you would check my numbers and get back to me I would appreciate it. Kaneranch

I would lose the mineral block in favor of a good loose mineral formulated for your area/needs. Reason being is that mineral blocks require way too much licking, and do not provide enough mineral. I'm also curious as to the $300 ($198/ton) feed. Is that grain?

Don't know how many days you plan on feeding vs. pasture. But you should be able to keep you cost to feed a cow no higher than $.75/day and it is possible to go lower. Also, figure on what type of hay you have will determine how much if any grain is needed, that could cut cost further. With those numbers you gave you are feeding the 5 cows, plus the leased bull assuming he is there 365 days, which he probably isn't, it is costing you $140/year to feed or about $.38/day. So I would say you are doing real well. National studies show that the most efficient producers maintane a cow for $250/year, this includes all costs associated with the cow, most cost have been shown to be with feeding, and the national average I believe is around $350/year. Again, these numbers include all the cost associated with keeping the cow. So I would say you have really good numbers.

Your cost on feed looks great, but you may want to consider budgeting for typical winter problems - medicines, fence repair, cold weather accommodations, etc. My experience is that I perform more maintenance in the winter months.

Are you talking about the salt blocks and such that you can buy at say a Tractor Supply Store??

msscamp":10vz1zqr said:
I would lose the mineral block in favor of a good loose mineral formulated for your area/needs. Reason being is that mineral blocks require way too much licking, and do not provide enough mineral. I'm also curious as to the $300 ($198/ton) feed. Is that grain?

Latest posts