Feeding Cost?

Help Support CattleToday:

What is a reasonable profit each of you can accept? Years ago steer guys would figure $100 pure profit would be ok. I'm not sure at the costs some of you quote that it's much better than that now.
$100 per cow and 40 cows is $4,000. Not much profit for the amount invested.
Let's double that to $200 per head. $8,000 still isn't much.
At $300 per head and $12,000 still not going to live off of it.
At $600 per head profit you might eat, but not good.
Don't forget about losses as well.
I lost a couple heifers to leptospirosis got hurt at the salebarn. Open here every one thinks lepto so your at the slaughter price. .76 cents on heavy 8wt heifers wasn't nice.
I had way more than that in them.

Open cows at preg checking time cost me more than any one thing on the ranch. People can gripe about feed cost all they want but you gotta feed them and you knew it going in. A cow that doesn't produce a calf every 12 months is what will ding you, it's generally overlooked and not discussed too.

What is a reasonable profit each of you can accept? Years ago steer guys would figure $100 pure profit would be ok. I'm not sure at the costs some of you quote that it's much better than that now.
$100 per cow and 40 cows is $4,000. Not much profit for the amount invested.
Let's double that to $200 per head. $8,000 still isn't much.
At $300 per head and $12,000 still not going to live off of it.
At $600 per head profit you might eat, but not good.
Nobody here runs 40 cows. The guy with 1,000 cows at $100 per head profit is at $100,000 a year.
The guy with 500 cows if he clears $200 a head is also making $100,000
My neighbor at 250 cows needs $400 to make the $100,000. He sold his steers for over $1,000 each. He might be close.
The smallest operator in the vally runs 165 cows. The place was paid off years ago. At $600 he is making $99,000. Low input and no debt. He is probably close.

Yeah, that's what I figured was the difference. My hay costs won't ever encroach $240./year unless my supplier increases their prices. I'm finding a little supplement of cattle cubes every other day while cutting back my hay and forcing my cattle to graze a bit more...saves me money. Cattle cubes adds protein and is less expensive then corn hay (due to the costs and time it lasts) I can control the amount of cubes every other day, I cannot control how fast the cattle consume hay when I'm gone. They want $60./round bail of hay and $30./round bail of corn..both bails are (4x5 to 4x6)...switching over to solely to corn hay has saved me a bunch of money. Cows conditional weight are 5 to 7...most all 6's some 7's...maybe one 5's. I'm only two years into my learning curve with cattle on the ground. I would like to know if other cattle producers are finding cattle cubes save them winter hay cost money? Because I believe if I stopped feeding cattle cubes, surplus potatoes, old apple, banana and orange fruit and skins... and went solely with just hay...my feed costs would increase by 30 to 60% (my estimate) per year. Little more protein saves big money.
Are you calling rolled corn stalks corn hay? Huge difference in cost compared to quality hay if it is.

I would talk about how much it cost to feed the 120 "Kudzu Corriente" cows, that weaned off calves averaging $700, but it might get the pigeons stirred up again. :eek:
Good point. Is it costing $500 a head to feed a cow that produces a $700 calf or $200 a head because the cow weighs 650lb? A smaller cow has some fixed costs but hay and associated feed might be less.

Open cows at preg checking time cost me more than any one thing on the ranch. People can gripe about feed cost all they want but you gotta feed them and you knew it going in. A cow that doesn't produce a calf every 12 months is what will ding you, it's generally overlooked and not discussed too.
Open cows and calves that don't make it to weaning. That 5-7% death loss really sucks up the potential profit.

Good point. Is it costing $500 a head to feed a cow that produces a $700 calf or $200 a head because the cow weighs 650lb? A smaller cow has some fixed costs but hay and associated feed might be less.
The cows were all bought anywhere from $200-$400 each...or given to us. He puts a Corr cleanup bull in after we pull the bulls, and they usually have maybe 10 Corr calves. Last year they had 9, and 4 were heifers. so he gets about that many every year, and I dunno how to figure what they cost. The mjature Corss will go 700lbs or more, and a few are Corr x LH and will weigh 800. He doesn;t feed them anything. In October,after the 1st dove season, we moved them down the road to the dove field I talked about... peanuts, sunflowers, millet and corn. That field is on about 400 acres of row crop land...all fenced in. He plants soybeans, cotton and peanuts on it. And every time he harvested one of those crops in Oct-Nov, he;d open the gates to those fields and let them have them, too. Since I sold 36 of the 120 to people on here, we have 84 and 4 heifers, that we gonna round up on that 400 acres, and drive them back across the road to the Kuszu field. They start calving next week. ( Not the heifers) Only money he spends feed wise, is just for about a dozen salt blacks and a dozen mineral blocks a year. Only time they might see a bale of hay, is when we get them up and sort the calves to take to the sale in AUg or so. If we leave them penned overnight, we will put a round bale in the corral. So, I guess with the salt and 1 bale of hay a year, it is about $1 or 2 per head a year to feed them?

They produce one every 12 months or they ride.
I believe in Tom Lassiter philosophy.

I kept all the opens this year. It was the first time I've done this in several years. When selling opens and keeping heifers or buying replacement cows and still having opens I'm wondering if it's a nutrition deal....my fault not the cow.

I kept all the opens this year. It was the first time I've done this in several years. When selling opens and keeping heifers or buying replacement cows and still having opens I'm wondering if it's a nutrition deal....my fault not the cow.
With today's prices and inputs that's tough row to hoe.
I have never had a nutritional issue on breeding.
I got hurt bad by bangs in the 70's . Neosporia got me one year. Leptospirosis has been a battle .

Rules for keeping cows> Love your wife, Forgive your children. Do neither with a cow!

NRCS has some really good programs and some that just require too much $$$$ to be feasible. I've worked with them on several projects but only do the things that make sense to me. Most of the agents aren't ranchers or business people so only know what they were taught in school. School learnin is good and all but the only real lesson I've ever learned is one that took the hide off me or cost me money.
Yeah, had bunch of NRCS kids come to my ranch...knew about absolutely nothing, 70% horrible advice. There ARE good people high up at the top that know and understand a few things...but their "field reps" need help...too young and inexperienced.

I would talk about how much it cost to feed the 120 "Kudzu Corriente" cows, that weaned off calves averaging $700, but it might get the pigeons stirred up again. :eek:
Most efficient small cow is called a ewe. Don't settle for Corriente.

Last edited:
Pipelines, tire tanks and some key fences have been the best EQIP projects here. We only look at EQIP for projects we intend to do anyway and see if it makes sense to add NRCS requirements. Have not had any problem with their pipeline, tire tank and fence requirements.
They can screw up fence too. I had a single strand fence rejected because it met the WS state spec but not the MN state spec. I asked why two specs??? Silence. So I ended up getting a exception signed by the state head... What an admin mess.

Last edited:
Just attended the annual Forage event here. Keynote chose to share an old presentation that did not address the agenda. Oh well...

He did make some statements like "we have cows because we have forage". He did share some old numbers on cost of various forages. Point is cowmen need competitive advantage like cleaning up behind the combine, not a lot of over speced NRCS park land.

Rules for keeping cows> Love your wife, Forgive your children. Do neither with a cow!
Agreed. I will admit there was another factor in keeping those cows. The main decision maker though was that I was going to have to replace them with salebarn cattle. I had to decide if I wanted to sell them for a $400 avg. and replace at a $1,200 avg or just keep them. Either way was a goose egg for the year. Like I said first time I've done this in years, I generally sell all opens and cull a few non performers.

With today's prices and inputs that's tough row to hoe.
I have never had a nutritional issue on breeding.
I got hurt bad by bangs in the 70's . Neosporia got me one year. Leptospirosis has been a battle .
How do you know it wasn't a nutritional issue? Asking seriously do you test them for Lepto?

How do you know it wasn't a nutritional issue? Asking seriously do you test them for Lepto?
A cow on my place has to live and reproduce on the nutrition available to her and look good doing it. There are a lot of cattle that can't do what I expect mine to. I don't know if that would be a nutritional issue or management issue.

Latest posts