Feeding corn ethanol byproduct...?

Help Support CattleToday:

redneckcowgirlmn

Reaction score
Hi all,
Okay, local crazy firewood supplier guy came over the other day, to drop off the wood for winter, and was just foaming at the mouth over his "feeding program". Seems, he gets truckloads of this yellow calf-scour looking stuff, dumps it in tanks, and his horses, cows, hogs, & everything else are doing great on it.
Have any of YOU tried this as a feed alternative?
Dropped him off at his farm, while my guys were unloading the wood, & he showed me. Not only does it LOOK like something bad happened, but you can just about imagine the smell of it. He says it's about 220 degrees when they load it, & a pain to get unloaded if it cools, comes out of his holding tank like "milk", then forms a "Skin" like pudding as it cools. Which is what the animals like. I asked him about colic, founder, or bloat, and he said none of his animals have had any problems, a guy he delivers to had a 400# per day milk increase when feeding it free choice to his cows, and a 600# per day drop, when he ran out & forgot to call right away.
I have to admit, his stock looked fat & happy. He said the animals won't overeat on it, and pasture lasts longer. (Which would be a plus, since it's so dry here.)
He wants to bring some over for me to try on my 2 calves & 6 horses.
Should I let him?
Asked my vet if he'd heard of this stuff, & if it was bad, he said it's about 85% +/- digestible, but messy.
So my curiosity led me here, of course. Seems it's about $50.00 per 100 gallons, vs. the feed mill corn price of $11.00 per 100#.
Math wise it makes sense, but I'm googling all I can on health reasons why I should NOT do this.
Just wondering if any of you are already doing this, or if this guy's just nuts.
Thanks.

CCDS or CDS is probably what your talking about. $50.00 for 100 gallons seems expensive. Mix that with ground corn stalks and you have a very good starter ration for new arrivals.

Howdyjabo":1ef3vr26 said:
I wouldn't feed it to horses-especially free choice
What happens to a horse after eating corn condensed distillers solubles? Same as monensin?

somn":241e04gu said:
CCDS or CDS is probably what your talking about. $50.00 for 100 gallons seems expensive. Mix that with ground corn stalks and you have a very good starter ration for new arrivals.

I'm sorry, I quoted that wrong... $50 for a load, (forgot how much in a load) he wanted to drop off 100 gallons for me to try on my cows.

Latest posts