Feeding colostrum to older calf ?

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
We had a cow have twins and she is only accepting one of the calves. This makes my daughter very happy because now she has a bottle baby. Some friends of ours who dairy have plenty of dump milk they let us have from fresh cows, but my question is ; Are we asking for scour problems since much of the milk we get is still pretty thick and yellow? The calf is only a few days old and a picture of health now, should I keep feeding it this thicker colostrum like milk? Thanks

Most dairies here use colostrum to raise heifers, the key is it must be a mixed batch from various cows in various stages of being fresh and don't go from this to milk replacer and back as supply increases or decreases.

Thanks KNERSIE, I have had problems in the past with mixing milk and milk replacer in the past. How about mastitic milk?

nothing wrong with using fresh cow or colostrum milk to a bottle baby.but as was said do not be switching from that milk to powdered milk.i switched from cows milk to powdered milk an back an forth.but i didnt like it at all,because i had to watch all the time for scours.

No problem with feeding closotrum to older calves, just as said, don't switch back and forth (and that is also between colostrum and normal milk, not just whole milk/milk powder - I don't know if it would cause a stomach upset at two to three weeks old but the vets say a too abrupt transition is the common cause of scours at 4 - 7 days).

As for mastitis milk, it's good milk and you won't see any problems from feeding it. There's theories that it can cause issues with mastitis/antibiotic resistance in later life, I don't know if any of that has been proven and I myself don't feed it to replacement calves while the cow is being treated - I would feed it to calves I wasn't keeping as replacements.

Latest posts