feeding co-op 96613 mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
Decided to try and feed some good mineral and with the recommendation of a fellow member here I bought some 96613. Tried giving it to my bull and some steers and they turned their nose up at it. So, I mixed it with some 14% grain and they eat it. Is their anything wrong with mixing mineral with feed?

:2cents: only; I do not nor would I mix grain with mineral. This doesn't follow the free choice recommendations of any bagged mineral I've fed. It will take them some time to get used to also. Consumption is also in ounces so it is low at best anyway. Good luck.

Calhoun Farm":1prctna4 said:
Decided to try and feed some good mineral and with the recommendation of a fellow member here I bought some 96613. Tried giving it to my bull and some steers and they turned their nose up at it. So, I mixed it with some 14% grain and they eat it. Is their anything wrong with mixing mineral with feed?

Mineral is not something that cattle normally attack aggressively. Most will look at it, smell of it and maybe even get a little on their nose and maybe walk off. But they may come back several times latter. Some may never eat it and may not even need it. Try simply putting out a coffee can full at one time and come back the next day and see how much is left. If it's gone put another can in there. If not do nothing. But for me it's too expensive to simply force feed it.

Calhoun Farm":1ihuzg08 said:
I was mixing about 10 ounces with 10lbs of feed.

Most have a consumption rate of 4 oz per head per day...some are formulated to give the same amount of vitamins and minerals by consuming only 2 oz. per head per day. The tag should disclose this on the feeding directions.

I think the 96613 is 3.5 to 4 oz per day I feed there 678 have had no proplems with it I am changing to the 96613 the first of Nov through Jan breeding season.

So should I stop mixing it with the feed? I guess I could always buy a small tub and pour the whole bag in and let them have it free choice.

bse,
Why do you only feed this mineral through Nov to Jan? If you have a cow/calf operation, this is a very important mineral. It needs to be fed year round.
http://www.ourcoop.com/productcatalog/Main/PdfViewer.aspx?el=67320
Co-op's Ultimate Cattle Mineral should be fed 12 months out of the year since you want to maintain the reproductive tract of the cow after she calves, and keep the bull's tool in good shape. He can develop problems around his sheath where he has trouble extending himself through the skin because the skin has become dried and damaged. He needs to maintain sperm quality all year long. Any kind of problem that develops that causes him pain, and he will not breed. Any kind of sperm issues, and you could miss a season of calves.

It has 2600 ppm of copper, which is a great amount, but not too high. Copper is what maintains all blood vessels and keeps them pliable to all parts of the body. The blood flow is necessary to maintain in the reproductive tract that she cycles regularly and she will be ready to re-breed on her second heat after calving. It also keeps the blood supply to the uterus of the cow for the growth of the calf.

Blood vessels are important to the feet, and the circulation needs to be maintained for foot health.

Areas that are deficient in selenium are the Northwest, Great Lakes Region,West Coast, Intermountain West, Eastern Seaboard, and the Southeastern US.

The problems you could see in cattle that are not receive selenium in their diets regularly are White Muscle Disease, which affects calves from a few days old, to a few weeks old. Their legs become weak and they will lose their ability to walk, and with a shot of injectable Se, might be given to see if it will help it. But white muscle disease usually kills the calf before it reaches this stage. Some calves are more affected than others, and it attacks their heart and respiratory muscles, and the calf just cannot continue to breathe after it is born, nor can it's heart continue to beat. They die fairly rapidly after they are born. This can be a reason when people find calves that look normal out of the placenta, and are laying there fully formed.

Abortions-calves develop nutritional my degeneration just before they are due to be born and will be born stillborn or dead. This occurs in late term fetuses.

Selenium can cause infertility in your cattle and can mimic diseases such as Trichomonosis.
Cattle have decreased immune response and have higher incidences of common diseases such as Pink eye or foot rot.

Se and Copper both are a cause for cattle to have a dull light hair coat and to look unthrifty. Se deficiency , can mimic parasitic or infectious diseases that are hard to detect.

The recommended dosage of Selenium is 3mg per day, or they want a mixture of 120ppm in a mineral mix.
I looked at the Co-op mineral chart for the selenium. I need to call them on the mineral formula at the big office! It says that it is 30 ppm selenium, but it has it listed as a yeast, and then states it as chelated, which means the molecules will be absorbed by the intestinal walls as it passes through the cows digestive system.

I have not had any trouble with white muscle disease, and I have always fed this mineral, but I am just now catching that dosage. I have been more impressed with the fact that the minerals were chelated and organic so they could be absorbed. With Tennessee being low on Selenium, and I do have a high content of clover, that is something I do need to consider, as clover does not carry Se.

All of these minerals nutrient and vitamins are passed to the calf while the cow carries the calf for the nine months she is carrying it.

Increased levels of zinc in cattle supplements were found to significantly increase daily gain in cattle.
I decided to look up what else zinc deficiencies caused, and it stated that it caused reduced tesicualr growth also.
Here is the site of other problems it causes:

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=9791&page=69

If you look at the Supreme minerals, it is a good mineral , but I am not sure about how much of the mineral the cattle are actually absorbing because we do not know the source that it is coming from. It states on the sheet that all of the minerals in the Ultimate are organic or chelated.

While she is carrying the calf all year long, she is usually feeding another and both are pulling a great supply of nutrients from her body. If the nutrients are being pulled out and she is not able to replace the correct amount, then the calf inside will suffer.

The Ultimate has a much higher level of all of the nutrients except for salt and calcium. It is showing that it has more of the nutrients and less levels of calcium and salt filler. They will consume as much salt as they need, gaining the nutrients and calcium along with it.

I will make a note and call LaVernge about the Mineral if anyone is interested in knowing about the selenium content in the mix. I will post it here when I find out about it.

I feel that this is the best Mineral in this area to purchase. And I would not cut down after breeding season as the cattle need these nutrients all year long

Calhoun, depending on how many cows you have, I wouldn't pour the whole bag in at once. I have 16 cows in one pasture, and I pour about 1/3 of a bag in a tub that they cannot flip over or poop in. If they dump that whole bag over, or mess it up, that is an expensive bag of mineral gone. They won't eat it after they poop or wee in it. Put it in a corner where they don't back into it. My cows will eat it fast sometimes, then it looks like they are hardly touching it. I just make sure that it is out at all times. If it gets rained on, they will drink the water off of the top, and after you see the the salt mixture again, just stir it up and where it isn't packed. They will eat it much better that way. Of course the best way is to keep it covered, but we all are still gathering our cattle equipment as we go along.

Chuckie ill try and answer a few things Ive talked to co-ops mineral guru several times he says the most important times for the cow is during breeding and calving that's when they need more, while there bred they need to maintain.
If you look at the tags the differences are 96613 has 3% more calcium, 1%more phosphorus, 13ppm more cobalt,650ppm more cooper,1300ppm more zinc, and 220 IU/lb vitamin e, everything else is the same.
Minerals confuse me more than anything as to what works here what ties up what and so on. I have to trust there guys plan. Theres $2.30 difference in the bags so theres a little savings.
Getting cows bred in a 45 day window is my main goal so i bump up the mineral and use Multi Min and do all i can to make that happen. Bulls are only there 32 days and while they are there on ultimate.
If you need the guys name and number pm me may keep you from going through a lot of folks in Lavergne.

I have talked to him a few times before about their products if it is the same man.

Ultimate increases the trace minerals as you wrote above. Copper, Zinc, Vitamin E, and Selenium. Those are the minerals I do want increased.
Did you read the article on the Zinc when you increase the amount, it makes a difference in the amount of weight your cattle gain? There are many articles on this, even on humans taking zinc.
The copper, is greatly increased, and I definitely wanted that as I don't know how much each cow is eating.
I saw a lot of cows this year with longer coats, with reddish tints to them. It is a problem with their mineral intake. Copper and selenium mostly.

With Seleinum, you must have Vitamin E. The source of Selenium that the Ultimate mineral supplies is in a yeast form, which is a food. Since this is such an important supplement, I want it for the cattle. It stores up in the calf and in the colostrum in the cow before the calf is born too. This is produced before the calf is born.
As I printed above, Tennessee soils are not a good source of Selenium and the Ultimate has a high quality ingredient Se added.

I guess I could "Mr. Haney" this all night long. The fact that it does greatly increase those trace minerals is why I chose the Ultimate.

Here is a site for the mineral status for each state. http://www.multiminusa.com/resources/trace-minerals

TexasBred, that is quite an article on all the vitamins and minerals playing a role in each other's absorption. I knew that if one was in access, it could cause a deficiency in others, but I didn't know it went to that extent.
I would hate to take a test on that one in the morning!!! I would have to sit by Inyati!!

Chuckie":5jxnx3y6 said:
TexasBred, that is quite an article on all the vitamins and minerals playing a role in each other's absorption. I knew that if one was in access, it could cause a deficiency in others, but I didn't know it went to that extent.
I would hate to take a test on that one in the morning!!! I would have to sit by Inyati!!

:lol: You would pass. He would still be researching "WHY"?? The mineral looks like a pretty good mineral. Keep in mind that it has a considerably amount of chelated minerals in it. This have a much higher bioavailability so even if the levels of certain minerals are not highly elevated the fact that they actually utilize them makes it much better. Most minerals will contain a combination of oxides and sulfates, oxides being cheapest and also least available to the animal. They are there....the animal consumes them...but 90% simply passes through her. Zinc, manganese, copper, and cobalt can be chelated and will show up on the list of ingredients as "chelates" or "amino acid complexes". A bit more expensive but always worth that extra little bit of money.

Here's you a little "cheat sheet" you can put in your wallet to simplify the other link I posted. ;-)

http://drkherbs.com/mastery-of-minerals/

Latest posts