feeding calves

Help Support CattleToday:

medic_941

Reaction score
anyone have any advice on the best way to feed just weaned claves? i mean what to feed them for best growth?

Go to the feed store...not TSC...and get some calf starter grower. Also, ask the people at the feed store what nutritionists recommend as far as loose minerals for your area and the time of year. Also, put out some good, grassy type hay for them...like coastal bermuda.

Just my opinion and what we do.

Alice

I have found out in weaned calves the extra gain is not worth the higher price for calf starter. If they are 150 or so pounds yeah, but after that it don't pay. I feed the 13 percent pellets and grass.

How weaned is weaned, or a better question is what size? I agree with Bama in that I don't see the point of starter if you are talking 400-500 pound calves.. For those we have been known to feed a 13% or even just a creep mix and grass/hay depending on the time of year... If they are smaller I might pull them aside and give them a higher quality ration but otherwise I would go with more a grower ration than a starter... This year we got them started about 1-2 weeks before weaning by putting out creep feeders that we have for them right than... That way they learned about them before they wre bellering for mom.

I would stay away from TSC for the most part... They have some feed there, at least our local one, that is the same as one of the local elevators sells, Kent, but it will be 10-15% more expensive at TSC.. Have been known to use them if I got stupid and forgot to get feed and run out on a weekend... Generally happens with bum calves or lambs.

We set up a hay feeder and kept it filled with good quality grass hay, and started the calves on medicated pellets at the rate of 1 lb/calf (gradually increasing to 2 lbs/calf), and 1 lb/calf of grain (increasing to 2 lbs over the course of a couple weeks). When they were eating that good, we added ground hay/beet pulp mixture and top dressed with the pellets and grain. They gained very well, and the medicated pellets helped prevent illness due to stress and temp fluctuations since we fall weaned. Plus the licorice flavor of the pellets helped get the calves transitioned and eating good.

For clarification...Alice's post was in regards to bottle calves. I would agree with Bama if they are momma weaned and 400-500 pounders. Ours are usually 100-150 pounds (some smaller) when weaned from a bottle and we put them on starter-grower until they get older/larger and transition them to bulk feed. ;-)

Van

these calves are just weaned bottle calves...150 pounds or so..whats best to give them after the bottle to grow them to about 400-500 pounds in the fastest way?

Well, in that case, as Alice said, we use a good starter-grower. It contains things for the younger calves that bulk feed does not. I will not say it grows them faster, but I think it is better for them health wise. As they get older and bigger, we switch them to bulk feed without any issues.

Van

I feed bottle calves 1-2% of their body weight in grain plus good alfalfa hay until they're about 400-500lbs, then cut back on the grain a little. (FWIW, I just feed straight corn and barley, nothing fancy.) If they're dairy bottle calves they need more nutrition than beef bottle calves would need.

Latest posts