Feeding calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just got two watusi calves today. They are 3 months old according to the fellow I got them from. I think they were still nursing from their moms. There was no grass in the pen where they were but I think he fed hay everyday to the group. Do I need to try and get them on a milk supplement? I have good pasture so they will be exposed to grass. I know they need a suppplemental feed but what kind do I give them. Do they need a calf grower/starter? They are kind of slim and also probably need worming. These are the first two cows I have ever owned. Thanks for any help. Please rush. They do not seem to be sick in any way that I am aware of yet. I want to make sure they have what they need.

[email protected]

They shouldn't need milk or milk replacer. Start them on a high wuality calf starter type of grain and good quality grass, either hay or pasture. You'll want them to be eating 2-3 lbs a day of calf starter as soon as possible. Worm them (actually de-worm them) get them vaccinated for whatever your local large animal vet recommends. When you say you have good pasture, how do you know it is good? Just because you have grass doesn't necesarrily mean it is good quality. Grass that has stopped growing or is putting out seed heads is lower quality then when it is actively growing. Some types of grass are just enerally more nutritious and palatable then others. I would assume you are either raising these for showing or pleasure and not for beef. If you have any local folks that are in the show game, ask them what to do to get optimum growth, fitness. Each area has different reuirements for health and nutrition.

dun

> I just got two watusi calves
> today. They are 3 months old
> according to the fellow I got them
> from. I think they were still
> nursing from their moms. There was
> no grass in the pen where they
> were but I think he fed hay
> everyday to the group. Do I need
> to try and get them on a milk
> supplement? I have good pasture so
> they will be exposed to grass. I