feeding calves on leftover winter feed

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Gotta group of 16 that I will wean in the next few weeks.
I have left over from what I bought for winter.

Several rolls of Milo stalks. Pretty poor quality.
Several rolls of haygrazer. Pretty good quality
A few rolls of very good Klein grass.
Approximately a ton of wcs
Also they will be in a paddock. 10 acres of well fertilized rye grass with some red clover.
What would be your strategy. And should I buy corn?
All advice appreciated. Fence

I'd put them on that rye grass, make a bale of stalks or hay available for them to nibble on out of curiosity and feed all the whole shelled corn they'll clean up everyday. Worked great when I ran a group on turnip greens. :nod:

TexasBred":2klwot2u said:
I'd put them on that rye grass, make a bale of stalks or hay available for them to nibble on out of curiosity and feed all the whole shelled corn they'll clean up everyday. Worked great when I ran a group on turnip greens. :nod:
Why do you recommend corn along with grazing or ddg?

What do they weight ?

I'd save the WCS till next winter if I could store it.
I'd put out a bale of good hay but if there if plenty of ryegrass I doubt they'll eat much.
The ryegrass should give them all they need as long as it's enough to hold them all.
Depending on the weight and how long you intend to hold them whether to feed corn or feed the WCS you already have

Cross-7":1p8eba8e said:
What do they weight ?

I'd put out a bale of good hay but if there if plenty of ryegrass I doubt they'll eat much.
The ryegrass should give them all they need as long as it's enough to hold them all.
Depending on the weight and how long you intend to hold them whether to feed corn or feed the WCS you already have

Probably be 500 average weight
I plan around 60 days.
Wcs is on concrete in a good tight shed.
Will it keep till next winter ok?

callmefence":mvu0024m said:
Cross-7":mvu0024m said:
What do they weight ?

Probably be 500 average weight
I plan around 60 days.
Wcs is on concrete in a good tight shed.
Will it keep till next winter ok?

WCS should be fine as long as it's stays dry and mice and rats out.
I wouldnt feed anything other than offer hay and bloat blocks, as long as they have PLENTY of rye grass
If they run short and start hitting the hay then a little WCS a day
At that weight too much WCS or corn can cause them to get too fleshy and that'll get docked at the sale barn.
Plus it's an unnecessary waste of money if they have good graze
Just my 2 cents

Edit to add
Really good feed till it matures

Fence I had a similar situation to yours last year. I strip grazed the rye grass starting at the water tank, give them a little more every three or four days. Nothing you haven't heard before but I had really good gains and got more out of the crop than just turning them in. Hope they do well for you!

RanchMan90":2rb9y6zl said:
TexasBred":2rb9y6zl said:
Why do you recommend corn along with grazing or ddg?
They'll get all the protein they need from the rye, energy from the corn and no need for ddg in this situation. Another thread mentioned feeding ddg but he had no rye grazing available so needed a bit more protein.

I run my weaned heifers every year on rye grass. I usually just put out a roll of grass hay . 10 heifers might eat 2 rolls in 4 months.

Latest posts