Feeding breeding show heifers (beef)

Help Support CattleToday:

WinterSpringsFarm

Reaction score
I understand there are several brands to choose from, and while I'm interested in hearing about those brands I'm also interested in knowing the analysis of what everyone has had success with. I'd also like to know the rates you feed at. From weaning to freshening, with a main goal of a useful cow at the end of it all. The heifers would be sim and simangus.

TIA

If you go here: http://www.steerplanet.com/asklund-acre ... g-program/, there is a great write up about feeding show heifers. We use that same ration, with a little modification for each heifer (more roughage, less fat, what ever she needs). We use a product called Rumafill daily, and double on show days to get a good fill. The local feed mill will mix my grain a ton at a time, and it runs about $210 a ton, depending on grain prices. I add the mineral (Vitaferm) at home.
We figure about 2% of their body weight in grain, and adjusted to her ability to convert the feed. Too fat, less grain and more filler. Too green, less filler and more grain.
We feed grain during show season, and just a pasture creep on off show season (for us, that is right now). We have not had a problem with heifers calving, nor milking. We AI each of our heifers to simm bulls, but watch calving ease numbers based on the female's EPDs. Now, we pull them off grain once they are done showing, so our Spring show heifers get pulled off grain in September, to calve in the spring. Our fall show heifers stay on grain until September, or they calve. Every cow in our herd, except one, was a past show heifer. So I think we have done OK.
That website above, by the way, has so many resources on feeding heifers. It is more of a show type board.
I hope that helps!

Thanks for the response FSR. I am a member over there as well and read that write up earlier. Any idea what the analysis of that mix is? I'm not sure if my feed mill will make a custom mix when they sell their own show mix, but I will ask.

WinterSpringsFarm":1dnklq4k said:
Thanks for the response FSR. I am a member over there as well and read that write up earlier. Any idea what the analysis of that mix is? I'm not sure if my feed mill will make a custom mix when they sell their own show mix, but I will ask.
Here's the analysis on AOK's ration

I've been feeding this to cows, heifers my bull and a feeder calf!

Latest posts