Feeding Bred Heiffers

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Just purchased 4 bred heiffers. These beauties appear to me (an amatuer) that they had been well fed. I put them on 60 acres of coastal and let them free roam. The grass is at cutting height, but I haven't lined up a hay baler yet. The breeder I bought them from said to get the a molasses tub, a sulphur block, some range logs for getting them to handfeed. My question is what is the rule of thumb for bred heiffers and feeding ? The breeder said not to get them too fat, as this could cause trouble birthing. So anyone have a plan they can share with me that will give them the right amount of nutrition but not get them too fat ?

Thanks for any help/guidelines that yall can provide,

Charlie

[email protected]

Eye of the herdsman. They should be kept growing but watch for fat collecting in the dewlap. That's the easiest place to notice fat deposits. Good quality pasture, loose mineral, salt and water should be about all they need. If these are very large heifers, some type of supplement may be in order. The cubes are an excellent idea to get them used to coming when called and getting them up where you can look them over to spot any kind of problems or changes before they become significant.

dun

> Just purchased 4 bred heiffers.
> These beauties appear to me (an
> amatuer) that they had been well
> fed. I put them on 60 acres of
> coastal and let them free roam.
> The grass is at cutting height,
> but I haven't lined up a hay baler
> yet. The breeder I bought them
> from said to get the a molasses
> tub, a sulphur block, some range
> logs for getting them to handfeed.
> My question is what is the rule of
> thumb for bred heiffers and
> feeding ? The breeder said not to
> get them too fat, as this could
> cause trouble birthing. So anyone
> have a plan they can share with me
> that will give them the right
> amount of nutrition but not get
> them too fat ?

> Thanks for any help/guidelines
> that yall can provide,

> Charlie

The loose skin that hangs below the neck from just in front of the front legs to just between the front legs.

dun

> What or where is the dewlap?

Latest posts