Feeding bread to cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

freddym

Reaction score
OK, so I think I put this in the wrong folder.....does anyone have any information on feeding bread to cattle? They really like it, but I am worried that at some point there may be such a thing as too much.

Fred, "bakery products" is a good by-product used by many dairies located near a plant that processes old bread, cookies, donuts, etc. etc. etc. etc. Good protein, fat and energy. But everything has it's limits so i doubt I'd give her 10 lbs. per day but a couple pounds won't hurt a thing.

Up here the local bakery will deliver the scraps to your farm for $60.00/ton in dumptsters.
Bought a big (1275#) bread fed steer from a fella a few years back just to try it out...never again. The carcass looked nasty, about 1" of back fat and handfulls of KPH...all the fat was white as snow and he didn't have any flavor. It appeared that he was over fed on the stuff without much hay.
Bread feeding just isn't in our business plan...
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not. DMc

DMc....as I said..."everything has it's limits". A good ration is always "balanced" no matter what kind of animal you're feeding or what you want for an end result.

Latest posts