feeding baby calf HELP

Help Support CattleToday:

S Bentley

Reaction score
we have a heifer calf who is a twin mom would not take her so we are bottle feeding. My man and I both work off the farm so feeding times that are regular are difficult. What is our best bet 1) train her to drink out of a bucket (if so how I have tried it the calf and I end up wearing it) 2) keep feed time as regular as possible. Also she is a month and a half old what about solids we have pelits there for her but she must figure they are no good. Again HELP

S Bentley":32wzt3ja said:
we have a heifer calf who is a twin mom would not take her so we are bottle feeding. My man and I both work off the farm so feeding times that are regular are difficult. What is our best bet 1) train her to drink out of a bucket (if so how I have tried it the calf and I end up wearing it) 2) keep feed time as regular as possible. Also she is a month and a half old what about solids we have pelits there for her but she must figure they are no good. Again HELP

Ok, I don't understand - a month and half old calf that mom just suddenly decided she didn't want or does mom not have enough milk to support both calves? Your explanation does not add up in my mind. If this calf has been on her momma for a month and a half, the chances of teaching her to nurse a bottle are slim at best - there is just too much difference between mom's tit and a rubber nipple and the calf CAN tell the difference, trust me on this. I realize that this calf needs nutrition, however, so have you tried using a sheep nipple? Or coating the nipple with molasses or Karo Syrup? How long has she gone without milk? Be careful of how much you give her the first sitting if it's been more than a few days or you could have a case of scours on your hands. I, personally, would not train a calf to a bucket as it does not satisfy the need to nurse and the calf will generally try to satisfy that need by some means - usually nursing on corral-mates ears, etc. That is just my personal thoughts, though. As far as solid food, have you tried a good calf starter such as Purina Startena or C.O.B.? Usually calves learn to eat solid food by mimicking their mother, so in your case you are going to have to teach this calf to eat. The heavier the molasses, the greater the chances the calf will eat if, but you are probably going to have to put a little bit of starter/COB in her mouth to get her started. Another option would be to see if your local feed stores carry Hubbard brand AS70 Range N Gro. It is licorice flavored and has a licorice smell - for whatever reason calves really seem to like licorice. I've used it to get bottle calves to eat solid food - I've never had to buy a second bag and it's less than $7.00/50 pound bag. It's also medicated so it will help keep your calf healthy. If you have a yearling that is confined for whatever reason, put this bottle baby in with the yearling and the yearling will teach her how to eat. You might also try putting a flake of good grass hay in front of her. I would not give her alfalfa at this point, at it's likely to do more harm than good due to the protein content. I hope this helps.

No we did not just start feeding her we have been bottle feeding her from birth. I would like to know how to train her to drink her milk from a bucket she will drink her water but I can not get her to drink milk from a bucket bottle yes bucket no

The only method I know of is to get her sucking your fingers, or the nipple if that's all she'll suck, and slowly lower the fingers/nipple into the bucket of milk.

dun

Stick your fingers in it's mouth and force the head into the pail - it will suck your fingers - allow spaces between your fingets for the milk to pass.

You can do this from day one if you so desire.

Brace the pail or it may get bunted over.

Make sure it is hungry when you start.

Do not panic when it gets to the independent point of drinking.

They will put their head into the milk up to their eyeballs. Impressive. They are smart enough to pull their nose out to breathe.

Eventually they will do this on their own if you put a bucket out.

Try a search - there is probably a ton of info available.

Bez?