Feeding Area

Help Support CattleToday:

We have been talking about that this year. 300 $ per truckload here.
We have used it in several locations at the farm and it has held up really well. Doing the geo textile under it has really been a game changer. We had the wettest year I can remember and the work areas with the geo textile and recycled asphalt held up through the monsoon.

I despise the thought of a feedlot, but here I find myself in the early stages of running one. Lol. What do you do...

I've got 4 metal feed troughs on the top of a hill by my house. I think I am about to build a fenceline setup so I don't have to tromp in the mud. That, or pour a concrete pad to feed them on. Or a combination of both. This mud is getting to me already. Am headed out now to scrape it clean.

I'm curious what kind of setup you all are doing. Pictures would be appreciated if anyone felt compelled to share some.

Would like to be able to do 15 at a time, but be able to make it longer when the time comes.

I'm liking the concrete J bunk feeders. Also thought about building a shed against the fence line. Put feeders on the back wall and be able to feed from inside the structure. Animals on the outside back wall.

I would like to be doing grass finished, but have headed the other direction. Just don't have the time or money to go that route. Nor the demand. Might try with a couple this summer.

Wish I could find a way of keeping them on a good daily grass rotation and still give them the corn. But thatd be a pain in the arse I already know.

Just curious how yall are doing it.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
This is my setup. Feed from outside fenced area. 5ADAE483-D465-44AE-8151-CF953F0A2ECD.jpeg

I gathered all of my lightweight panels, bought half a dozen used panels, and threw up a temporary situation to make things safe for me. Big enough for 3 troughs and a fair amount of room to move about. About 15 panels and a gate panel. It will not withstand much pressure though.

Beats the heck out of what I have been doing.

We built this hay rack this year with stone and gravel in our feed pen.. so far it has helped with wasted hay and not messing up the pasture.. I have 2 that hold 2 bale's each.. also keeps the tractor out of the field in the wet Winters.. the fence line feeder is beside the other hay rake which helps catch any up to work..

Attachments

• IMG_20220101_171143.jpg
    IMG_20220101_171143.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220101_171132.jpg
    IMG_20220101_171132.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 32
The boss built a new feed pen at the home place this year. We develop our bulls and our freezer beef program at this location. He used geo textiles sheeting covered with recycled asphalt in the pen the drive area is recycled concrete. It is working great has eliminated the mud hole

Gizmom/others

I'm very curious about geo textile sheeting -- particularly that has been used for a cattle installation -- do you have a brand or type?

Gizmom/others

I'm very curious about geo textile sheeting -- particularly that has been used for a cattle installation -- do you have a brand or type?
This is one brand. I get mine 13x300 not certain what brand I am using as I bought the roll off a neighbor who had an extra after he finished his roads. Use use another kind too that looks like that orange construction barrier but is super heavy duty and will cut a person if they are not careful. The holes in it are like inch and half so you really got to lay down 3" open before you lay your inch and a half minus or your gravel will work its way through.

Last edited:
We have a barn lot fixed with filter cloth, and graveled with a dense grade gravel mix on top. It sets up pretty hard and can be scraped off. Keeps us from having to walk in deep mud with the feed, and can fasten the cattle out until ready to feed them.
What type of gravel do you put on top of the filter cloth?

What type of gravel do you put on top of the filter cloth?
It's been several years since we did those, I believe our quarry calls them 2-3's, larger gravel that was put on first over the filter cloth, then a layer of what they call dense grade. It's small gravels mixed with real small gravel and real fine almost dust. When wet and packed down good it sets up almost like a concrete crust.

I have a different theory. I put down the mat around the tire troughs or ball water systems and then use rock the size of my fist. The cow will ease in and drink then back off the rocks because it's uncomfortable for them to stand on. Keeps the manure away also.

Latest posts