Feeding Angus cows in winter

Help Support CattleToday:

Steph14

Reaction score
I have 15 Reg. Blk. Angus cows. I live in midwest MN. I was just wondering what are the nutrition requirements for these cows. They won't be calving until May. I usually feed hay, but what else would be a cost-effective feedstuff. I have access to dried/wet beet pulp, corn distillers, corn screenings, ect. Aproximate amounts would be helpful. Also, what minerals should I have available to them? Thank you so much for any information :)

depends on their body condition score going into winter, whether they are younger females still to reach maturity or have plateau'd as far as frame/growth is concerned, their genetics, the quality of hay you either put up or puchased. Speaking for our own herd in upstate NY (prone to cold, snow, mud etc) we feed only good quality 1st cutting hay to the brood cows, we calve in Jan/Feb but the hay is more than sufficient to maintain bcs til late feb/early march when we switch them to a 3rd/4th cut baleage to get them rebred in timely fashion. This will not be an issue for you as you will calve at grasstime and the cows should easily be on a rising plane of nutrition from pasture alone. For comparison our hay is orchard grass/clover/alfalfa mix, about 2/3grass 1/3legumes with a protein of around 12%.

Latest posts