Feeding Angus Bull Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Angus Ali

Reaction score
HI!!! I'm ali and i was just wondering what i should feed my new bull calf. My family and i have never rasied bulls on our farm before. Right now the calf is a week and three days old. He is being bottle fed because the heifer would not take care of it. When he starts eating other feed, what should i feed him? Is there anything he needs for growth and maturity?

:D Thanks to everyone and there input in advance!!!!!

Red Angus Ali":3ehlygso said:
HI!!! I'm ali and i was just wondering what i should feed my new bull calf. My family and i have never rasied bulls on our farm before. Right now the calf is a week and three days old. He is being bottle fed because the heifer would not take care of it. When he starts eating other feed, what should i feed him? Is there anything he needs for growth and maturity?

:D Thanks to everyone and there input in advance!!!!!

How much milk replacer are you feeding? We fed 3 bottles (2 quart) a day. And make sure your milk replacer is milk based not soy based. Calves will more or less just starve on the soy stuff.

Now that he is a week old, start introducing a 'calf starter' ration. There are many different brands, but make sure it is close to 20% protein. Ours is 18%. Start off by hand feeding him a handful after every bottle. Soon he will start to eat it on his own. Once he is eating it on his own, start to increase the amount he is eating to 2 lbs a day. At about 8 weeks you can start to wean him, as long as he is eating 2 lbs or more feed a day.

Make sure he has free choice, fresh water. And leaving a bit of hay in with him. He won't eat a lot, but he needs to chew on it a bit to help his rumen develop.

:D Thank you for the reply!! I usually don't have much luck with them ^.^

Anyways, we have water and hay for him all the time. And i plan on getting some of that ration. We've been giving him 2 bottles(2 quart) a day. Thanks again, ali.