Feeding an Angus steer.

Help Support CattleToday:

johnny87

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to raise Angus steers and heifers in Europe. I know that u in US and Canada have good know-how about this breed.

What ADG do you think I can have, feeding them only corn an hay/alfalalfa, without protein meals?

Many thanks,

Some of these US top Show Steers you see on the internet have been on feed for a long time.
If your corn is rolled, flaked, crimped and your hay is not coarse I would think you would get at least 3 pounds ADG minimum. If you don't something is wrong with your genetics or management.
Do not get me wrong many county fairs in the US combine ADG (that is over 3 pounds per day) using a weigh in date etc and the live show as well as a ultra sound or actual carcass contest. Those cattle are more realistic for actual cattle production but it still has the faults sometimes a pretty common steer that is just average in all those traits win.
A lot of state and national shows are only a show and usually older steers win those.
I think you ration is just right for heifers but I sure would like something to add to the corn. I sure wish I had your alfalfa hay. I am looking for oats for my rations finding good oats is like winning the lottery here.

Many thanks dear Brand,

I can only grind the corn,some oats and a10% of bran, to process them it's to expensive for me.

The implants are not permitted.

Do you have an esteem of corn consumption for a beef from 300 to 600kg,I read somewhere that on a corn intensive diet in US you have transformation rate around 5kg of corn for 1 kg of live weight beef,is this true?

Here in Europe they grow mainly Limousine and BBB, with high protein meals for a rapid growth and an exagerated lean meat,I know for you it's crazy to see a steak without fat at all:).

Best,

Good Luck
The US is not breeding for extreme rapid muscle.
We want cattle with more structure to them as we still have large pastures and ranges where cattle are raised.
We do not use implants either. Your feed for your goal sounds ok. It sounds like it would have to much acid for the rumen in our US cattle

Actually double muscled cattle here are inferior USDA grade

Thanks,

Yes, here in Europe, in a lot of country we don't have ranges or pastures,te sector is oriented to the high yields with BBB Limousine an other hybrids, for a meat with now fat. It's almost imposible to find a steak as you have here...If not for some niche producers,very expensive or from Argentina.

I have some pastures in Romania,Transylvania region and I'm trying to raise Angus cattle cow-calf operation on the pastures till 300 kg and from 300-600 with my own grains.

Thank you very much,