feeding a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

mattwr

Reaction score
I'm new at raise cows. i've been wanting to get into it for quiet some time but never had time to do it. i'm wanting to start out with a calf. how often will i need to bottle feed it and for how long?

Twice a day - 2 quarts per feeding with a good milk replacer that is at least 20% fat and protein (22% is better). If the calf is less than a week or so old, I usually feed 3, maybe even 4 times a day 2 quarts per feeding until he/she starts eating hay and COB good. If you don't know when the calf nursed last, start slow with a quart per feeding and feed more frequently or you could end up with a case of scours.

Hi,

You'll need to bottle feed twice a day. We feed ours for around two months or until they are eating about 2 lbs of calf starter per day. We also give free choice hay after they are 2-3 weeks old. Don't try to save money on milk replacer, the good stuff is higher, but it'll save on all manner of problems. You'll want something that's whey (milk) based, not soy, 20% protien and 20% fat are minimums. We've used Merrick's Gold Star, MFA (don't remember the name) and Nutrena Dairyway with good results. Land O Lakes and Purina are supposed to make some good ones as well, but I've not used them.

Be careful where you buy your calves, especially the first ones if your new. The price you pay from a local rancher will be worth it knowing it's had it's colustrum and is healthy and ready to go. Sale barn calves are inviting trouble for even expierenced people at times. You often have no idea where they came from and how they were cared for. Keep your calf pens as clean as possible. Do your homework, prepare your facility and get the meds and supplies you think you might need in advance before you bring home your stock. You'll be glad you did. Good luck, they are alot of work and alot of fun too.

Bryan

shutskytj":1xpxzqsy said:
I would buy more than 1 get at least 2 so they aren't lonely

Good point. A calf alone will have higher stress levels and will not be as healthy or typically grow as well as a calf that has one or more friends.

Don't keep them penned together. You'll have big problems with them sucking on each other. It's bad enough if they start sucking ears in cold weather but it's REALLY bad when they find the others navel to suck on - no matter what the weather.

My rule of thumb is on 50 lb bag of milk replacer per calf (usually), and offer good calf starter and hay from day one. Fresh water is also important. I feed 2 times a day, 2 quarts per feeding, and the last week or so I only feed once a day.

Bulldog

My calves nearly starved on the Nutrena milk. They looked terrible. Went to Co-op Milk Pro, Land o lakes or Victory Lane. They began to look better in a week. I won't ever use Nutrena again.