Feeder wagon recommendation

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve, I've used both Oswalt and Harsh horizontal mixers as well as Supreme Vertical Mixers. Everytime I engaged the pto with the Oswalts I always felt like chains were going to fly everywhere....and sometimes they did. ..the Harsh wagons were much heavier duty, and did a great job. Just for putting out silage and/or some grain either would work for you but my personal preference would be the Harsh.

My neighbor was going to use an open topped forage box for just that last winter but I don't know if he did or not. Seems like it would work just fine and be pretty cheap also.

I have seen some feeder wagans that were called grain-ovators or something like that. I don't know if they still make them but they are usually pretty cheap at auctions if you can find them. If I remember right they are just a small wagon with a center auger and a side discharge auger on them. One was pto driven and the other one had a small gas engine on it. I don't think they would work real great for silage; but should work for the wet cake.

Steve...never used on of those .... Schuler as well as Kelly Ryan makes a little "discharge wagon" that works well....Don't know if you're considering buying something new or not but I have seen these operate and they're pretty nifty.

i have a Lorenz forage wagon i use,but i need to find a new one also as it is rusting out,it was steel sided so i took the roof off and it works great

cowwrangler":30pgpro8 said:
i have a Lorenz forage wagon i use,but i need to find a new one also as it is rusting out,it was steel sided so i took the roof off and it works great

Are you able to handle and feed wet cake well with it?

Is there enough extension on the conveyor to feed into a bunk, or do you feed under a wire?

yes mine has a bunk extension on it, sticks out prolly 3ft,i feed silage,ground hay ,earlage,with no problems

There have not been many farm equipment auctions this year. I went to one on Saturday. They had a Cobey feeder wagon with a poor bottom that went for $2,800... I thought that was too high.

What do you think is a fair price?

i would think 1500.00 0r so,the good old ones are hard to find,most are wore out but alot of them are not being used much anymore,i went with a mixer wagon a couple weeks ago as mine is rusting out,i was looking for another wagon like this one but cant find anything good,the newer steel body silage wagons are in the 16-25 thousand dollar range around here,i know there are good ones out there but finding them is the trouble

cowwrangler":1v2a8q7x said:
i would think 1500.00 0r so,the good old ones are hard to find,most are wore out but alot of them are not being used much anymore,i went with a mixer wagon a couple weeks ago as mine is rusting out

You moved up to a TMR unit?

cowwrangler":3q4q49nf said:
i would think 1500.00 0r so,the good old ones are hard to find,most are wore out but alot of them are not being used much anymore,i went with a mixer wagon a couple weeks ago as mine is rusting out

You moved up to a TMR unit?

yes i have a 380 cu ft tmr mixer now,havent used it yet so i will see how it goes,it has been totally remanufactued

My dad and I have tried alot of the mixer wagons that are out there. We have had a JayLor Cutter/Mixer/Feeder for almost a decade now, feeding 1200 feeders and 600 cows everyday in the winter and around 800 head during the summer. You gotta change the cutting knives once a year but with that many head I think its worth it. Its great with sileage and wet distillers grains, but we mostly feed a dry ration these days and it works great for grinding up 2 or 3 1700lb alfalfa bales, mix in barly, supplement, and cull potatoes. Really mixes the ration well. We found with the Supremes that it took forever to grind anything up, we dont have a bale grinder so thats why we went this way, feedwagon and tubgrinder in one. Probably never go back to anything else as long as this JayLor keeps working.