Feeder Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

History lesson-----The strong will survive and produce more for less.

I would be curious to know the size of the average herd nationwide. I haven't looked it up in a while. The reason I ask is this; I have no idea what an LRM or LGP is and know nothing about the futures market. I'm guessing that many other people on this side of the Mississippi have no idea either. I guess my real question is how significant are the megaranches in the grand scheme of things? Also, what percentage of the domestic beef is produced by small farmers who don't take advantage of government payments or large contracts, futures, or truckload pricing? I'm not trying to put anyone down, just wondering. I'm guessing the LRM or LGP are something like an LDP?

Americans consume around 100,000 head of cattle per day. [domestic production] Falling way short of the demand. Imports make up the rest. The worlds largest cattle herd, [Brazil] is waiting for the green light to sell us fresh and frozen beef. If that doesn't happen they will send us more and more processed beef through Swifts vast distributing system.
So, don't look for US feeder cattle to increase much in price as long as feed costs stay high. It's to easy to make up the shortage of beef through imports.

Total US beef consumption for 2007 was 28.1 billion pounds.
Total US beef production for 2007 was 26.42 billion pounds.
Total Us Beef exports for 2007 was 1.431 billion pounds.

dyates":4yqc4scw said:
I would be curious to know the size of the average herd nationwide. I haven't looked it up in a while. The reason I ask is this; I have no idea what an LRM or LGP is and know nothing about the futures market. I'm guessing that many other people on this side of the Mississippi have no idea either. I guess my real question is how significant are the megaranches in the grand scheme of things? Also, what percentage of the domestic beef is produced by small farmers who don't take advantage of government payments or large contracts, futures, or truckload pricing? I'm not trying to put anyone down, just wondering. I'm guessing the LRM or LGP are something like an LDP?

No hobby here and small profit margin. We sell fats private, and the extra calves we feel we cannot finish or don't want to, go to auction... usually.

Dyates.... Your comment got me thinking. Especially after I read somn comment:

somn":4yqc4scw said:

I don't know the statistics, don't even now where to begin to look.... BUT

If a lot of the US herds are small...under 100 head... under 50 head... under 20 head... or what about the yard beef, raised just for owners comsuption.

How do these figures get into this statistic? I mean if I sell 8000 pounds of rail beef a year... not much.. but compounded by the many other small producers.. who tracks those numbers, if at all? And how would they factor in? Or, does it not even matter? Curiosity on my part.... but not in my realm to theorize/analyze.

Michele

There are some industries where no one makes a profit. There are a lot of industries where only a small perentage of the players make a profit. Auto builders and airlines are some of the dogs that have gotten a lot of press recently.

If you combine the profit or loss from the cow/calf operator, the feedlot, and the packer - - is there a profit for the overall industry???

somn":34w8ttla said:

google up US beef imports.
sez, total 07 beef imports from all countries is 3.052 billion pounds. And we imported 2.495 million head.
I'm just saying, that's a lot of beef. And there is a LOT more out there with a nod from the politicians.

mnmtranching":36q9qhbh said:
somn":36q9qhbh said:

google up US beef imports.
sez, total 07 beef imports from all countries is 3.052 billion pounds. And we imported 2.495 million head.
I'm just saying, that's a lot of beef. And there is a LOT more out there with a nod from the politicians.
Why google I can add and subtract.