feeder pigs

Help Support CattleToday:

ND

Reaction score
how much money can i make raising feeder pigs?

buying the pigs 30-50 lbs and buying all the feed.

i have the equip and facilities

thanks for the help.

ND":2jc28f0n said:

thanks for the help.

Add up all of your projected costs - include your time if you want.

That is your expense.

Find out what they sell for at the local barn - or plan on a price to sell privately.

That is your income or return.

Return minus expense equals profit.

Bez

You'll be lucky to anymore than break even buying all the feed. The only way to make any money with feeder pigs is to raise off thousands of them at a time. There is a lot more money in a farrowing operation if you going to be operating on a small scale.

The average feeder pig will make you roughly a twenty dollar bill by the time you figure all your inputs.

JB

It is a shame that probably the most efficient meat producing farm animal sells the way it does.

J Baxter":2jkzkzar said:
There is a lot more money in a farrowing operation if you going to be operating on a small scale.

JB

As long as you got a contract with a steady buyer.

We raised a couple of pigs on one sack of feed a few years ago. You must be willing to invest time and energy though, but the meat was delicious.

I asked local grocery stores if I could come by once or twice a week to pick up their produce waste. Usually they will give you a specific day of the week because other people are doing this too. Then contact your local food bank and see if you can have their old food that they would have to pay to get rid of. You will have to be sure and pick up the stuff when you agree, because they won't go to the trouble of setting it aside for you unless you will pick it up.

We built a little storage shed for all the food- bread produce, salad dressing, milk products, etc. The pigs loved it- they also had our own kitchen scrapds of course, and were on ground where they could root around.
The pork was delicious.

Susie

oops i didn't realize you were talking commercial basis.

J Baxter":1pbbtc1y said:
You'll be lucky to anymore than break even buying all the feed. The average feeder pig will make you roughly a twenty dollar bill by the time you figure all your inputs.

JB
True. And over time that is probably optimistic. Especially buying inputs. It has gotten tough to even sell hogs here anymore if you are not a large producer. Many plants will not take hogs raised outside at all. Make sure you have a market available before you dive in. On the idea that there is a lot more money on the farrowing side. Maybe but not guaranteed. Initial costs are higher. Labor is more intense. You've now got a sow herd to maintain and keep bred. A 5 or 6 pig average ain't gonna cut it. And you still gotta get em sold and get enough to pay all the bills. It can be overwhelming if you've not done it before. Some folks just aren't cut out to be hog farmers. Raising a batch or two of feeders will tell you if you like it or not.

ND":15033qax said:

thanks for the help.

Your not gonna make any money feeding feeder pigs with bought feed. You need to grow your own. Ive been around hogs my whole life and my neighbors ran a pretty good sized operation and farrowng house.. 10 pigs could go through 1 to 2 tons of feed easy a week.