Feeder heifer getting ready to calve

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
I bought a red angus feeder heifer at auction a couple weeks back and she is starting to spring. She weighs just shy of 800 lbs. This won't be to big of a deal if she is bred by something with decent calving ease. Otherwise we might have a little work ahead of us. I wish i knew more about the situation. wish me luck

I don't mind her being so light as much as i mind her being so young. I calved a large group of range heifers that weighed in at 750-900 before calving. (Those heifers were bred to low birth weight bulls) It was the idea that they needed to be that size if they were going to make 1100 lb cows.

I'll be pulling for you, but I'm a pessimist when it comes to young heifers calving. Actually when it comes to any heifers calving. I'll wake up at 2am and lay there worrying until 3, then go check them and not get back to sleep until 4. I don't know why I don't either get up and check or turn over and go back to sleep. :???:

Heifer brought in to local stockyard this week calved before the sale. Her and the calf together weighted 590 a few hours later. Good luck as it doesn't always go this well.

We'll see how it goes, anyway i'll keep you posted onto the results. Now i'm short a feeder heifer.

She calved out today, didn't even have to pull it. I'm all smiles as it is a healthy little red angus heifer calf and momma seems to be doing a good job.

Latest posts