Feeder Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

tyler1990

Reaction score
Hey all, finally was able to purchase my own acreage this year that is about 8 acres here in Iowa, couple of that is fenced in pasture. I was looking to get into buy a few 6 weight feeder steers this year to feed out. Prices this year have me dragging my feet a little. I have been watching the markets and just unsure if there is going to be a significant price decrease in between now and late fall. Did i pick the wrong year to get started?? Looking for some cattle veterans opinions on the markets and whether or not I should hold off this year, or go ahead and buy a few to feed out. Obviously not really in it to make money, but also don't want to loose my butt on it. Would be content with getting some free meat out of the deal. Thanks in advance for any input.

Your asking us to use are crystal ball....lol. The cattle cycle probably hit its peek last fall. Buyers who bought calves last fall probably gave a winters feed away. There will be small upturns but the general trend is probably down. Pork and poultry will increase a lot to force this. We need the Fran's pacific trade agreement, we need to double the money into the beef Checkoff, and we must maintain consumer confidence. Can you make money with what you are planning? Yes but the risks are higher this year. Work with veteran cattleman where ever you can. Mel

Latest posts