Feeder calves for 4h

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the topic board I want so here goes. We have been in 4H for a couple years and have done beef feeder calves, so we are not entirely new to calves and or plan was to take a calve keep it and enter it the following year in breeding project. Well I went too a few sales and man did those calves go high in price. Of course I went too show calf sales! We will not be going too show at anything but the county fair.

My goals I would like too keep a couple calves/cows too breed and have a 2to3 cow herd. But I would like decent stock. That beeing said- a local man is selling a few angus x calves aprox 300lbs. he states these are feeder calves not 4h calves. What does that mean? If I bought a couple heifers calves and next year ai them too a higher quality bull would that be a ligit option? Or Have embroys implanted? What do you think?

I guess what am asking is this a smart way too start my 2-3 cow herd? Another thought was too go and buy a cow/calf pair or one that is going too drop put then the price just got expensive and does not give me a way out if it doesnt work out? Where If I dont like the calves they can be sold at the fair and I will probably break even.

Any thoughts?

BryanM":qwvbdoi0 said:
That beeing said- a local man is selling a few angus x calves aprox 300lbs. he states these are feeder calves not 4h calves. What does that mean?

That probably means that his calves are not high enough quality/good enough conformation to make a good showing as a 4H calf.

If I bought a couple heifers calves and next year ai them too a higher quality bull would that be a ligit option? Or Have embroys implanted? What do you think?

I think you're going to be in over your head before you even start. AI is not cheap, and embryo transplants are even higher. Neither one is cost effective for a 2 to 3 cow herd, and you would have to AI for 2-3 years to make any significant difference in the calf. Factor in the fact that the cow may not settle on the first AI/transplant, and there is no way you would ever be able to recoup your costs for either one.

I guess what am asking is this a smart way too start my 2-3 cow herd?

No!

Another thought was too go and buy a cow/calf pair or one that is going too drop put then the price just got expensive and does not give me a way out if it doesnt work out? Where If I dont like the calves they can be sold at the fair and I will probably break even.

Any thoughts?

I honestly believe that you are going to have to make a decision because you can't have it both ways. 4H calves are basically show calves and are not interchangeable with general purpose, decent calves. If you want to do the 4H thing, be prepared to pay big bucks for the calf. If you want a decent herd of 2-3 cows, forget the 4H thing.

PS You might want to post your question on the show board. They might know of a way that would work for you.