Feeder and Breeding Stock Price Trends ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Feeder prices are down here, but bull and bred cow prices are up. I sold some bred cows and retained more heifers. Now thinking about selling a few pairs.

How do you compare the pricing between different classes of cattle?

There is always some people who don't know how to operate either a calculator or a pencil. And others who will take advantage of that fact.

Ya, but contracting is a skill I have not developed...
I can carry over a lot of calves if I need to, but stockers have to go when the grass is gone.
My guess is we will have a dry summer and feeder prices will reflect this.

I have never made a bad deal that had a profit in it. Could care less if the market goes higher. I don't think it will now.
We will have our open heifers to sell on the open market in Sept and 35 light heifers I bought cheap over the winter to sell when we need money. Likely in August.

Have already contracted our pea screenings pellets for next winter at $10 over last year. They may look real cheap come fall.

I don't understand how feedlots can stay in business with the current cattle and corn prices.

Are they burning through some one else's money?

I don't understand how feedlots can stay in business with the current cattle and corn prices.

The calves I sold already have a profit built into them as they were forward contracted as fats before they were bought from me. Might even be a couple of trades in between.

Sat the stockyards yesterday with a few odd ones we thought to sell. Prices were $.10 lower than a week ago, $.25 off what we sold in March. 2 steers weighed 590 were 1.54. . 3 weighed 515 were 1.55. Heifers were down about $.10-.20. Brought back 2 that weighed 480 for 1.18.... wanted 1.25 and didn't have to sell, they were just handy there to load.

Glad we pretty well cleaned most all out in March.

Cull cows are up here.... most in the $.60 to .70 range. Sold one that would not stay where we put her....only weighed 800 for .50... she wouldn't have gotten .40 a month ago....
Guess they are needing burger for Memorial day.

Time to get them moved to pasture for the summer. Moved 18 heifers out the other day, bull will go in 1st of June or so.

I have a client that just bought a load of 1000 lb. feeders for $30 under fat price. There's plenty of margin for corn to go higher on those steers before he starts losing money on that deal.

Yesterday at the sale I never saw a 500 pound steer get to $1.50. Heifers that size barely broke $1.20. The big boys were there. They were just sitting on their hands.

Yesterday's sale had about 100 4 to 6 year old pairs needing some grass in the worst way. Came from west of here. Lots of people looking and a few takers.
Rolling the dice with some.1321E5DC-785B-492A-AD0F-6234EF8D5FE0.jpeg68BCDB12-59DA-4C79-89AD-E66ED9BD1583.jpeg65A97582-BB74-408A-9C2D-DC3CC0044DE6.jpeg

Latest posts