feedback on this heifer please....

Help Support CattleToday:

texanstraders

Reaction score
Just looking for some honest "tire kicking" on the gal...Sorry, I should have taken a shot from the back...
DSC_0926-1.jpg

She is ok, lacks depth,higher flank, looks a little staight on hind legs. Tail head little high. I think she is going to be front heavy and not balanced looking. But it depends on what you want her for. Would she stay in my herd? no but she might be ok for what you want.

Too straight hocked, not enough depth, shoulders to coarse and the tailset will only get worse with age, not a show prospect here, but who know in the world of club calves?

Angus Cowman":1nmmewsn said:
not trying to be harsh and I know NOTHING about showing but from a replacement point of view just not much there

I agree, she wouldn't have made my cut either.

No worries on the feedback, thats why I asked...I just don't have "the eye" to really pick them out...

KNERSIE":xqg9i7y2 said:
Too straight hocked, not enough depth, shoulders to coarse and the tailset will only get worse with age, not a show prospect here, but who know in the world of club calves?

Club calves and real cattle are two different things. She is actually what the club calf people are trying to breed for. Straight back legs and lots of hair.

Jovid":2qmtw028 said:
KNERSIE":2qmtw028 said:

Club calves and real cattle are two different things. She is actually what the club calf people are trying to breed for. Straight back legs and lots of hair.

she doesnt have enough hair to cover up her problems and two boards for back legs that will never be able to support her weight as a fat show heifer.

Not to steal the thread but I would like to ask Knersie to look at theses three heifers and tell what is wrong with them as far as heifers go, to me they look like solid heifers, but that is why I would like a second opinion.
Colburn_Tag_3102.jpg

Colburn_Tag_2938.jpg

Colburn_Tag_927.jpg

Jovid":3ih4jmiy said:
KNERSIE":3ih4jmiy said:

She is not what club calf people are breeding for.

VCC":3sy1j28v said:
Not to steal the thread but I would like to ask Knersie to look at theses three heifers and tell what is wrong with them as far as heifers go, to me they look like solid heifers, but that is why I would like a second opinion.
Colburn_Tag_3102.jpg

Colburn_Tag_2938.jpg

Colburn_Tag_927.jpg

All three are functional heifers as far as I can see in the pics, all three has areas that can be improved on for the conventional showring as well.

The first heifer is very well balanced although a touch short, has the depth and capacity I like, very sound, but she could do with a touch more neck extension. The lack of extension through the front and the fact that she is just a touch shortcoupled would probably prevent her from a first place if the competition is strong.

The second heifer is beautifully balanced, very feminine, has the neck extension to have showring character, beautiful hip with a very good wedge, her only slight flaw is that she could have had a touch more set to her rear legs. Out of the three she'll place first if I was the judge.

The third heifer has volume and muscle, but she is too short coupled and has excessive bone. She has very good neck extension, but isn't shown well because her head is too high and the neck shoulder attachment is too coarse. The hair is hiding it, but I don't think her hip structure is completely sound, but that is picking fleas. She is the furthest from real world cattle of the three.

I'll place them 2, 1, 3 in the showring and pretty much the same as replacements although 3 more than likely wouldn't have made my cut for the registered herd.

Thank you KNERSIE, I would have to agree with you on all your points. I enjoy it when someone with a good eye can evaluate cattle and give their reasons, in a way that you understand and can see exactly what they are seeing without using the fraise of the month.
The one thing I will say is that heifer 3's bone mass is what they look for at allot of the shows, to me it is probably the biggest difference in real world cattle and show cattle. She is the type of cow that is used to produce the show type steer, witch in turn widens the gap between real world and show world.

I believe that balance, depth, volume, and soundness are appreciated in both realms of the cattle world.

Just throwing my 2 cents in on those heifer pictures..

The 3rd looks to me more like a market type heifer, a little more masculine with more bone. Bad part of that is like VCC said, those are used to make more steers. Pictures that include the rear and front view are the best (outside of seeing them in person) as some animals look great from a profile, but lack the thickness you think they'd have.

Cowboy 2.0":1yidl7z7 said:
Jovid":1yidl7z7 said:
KNERSIE":1yidl7z7 said:

she doesnt have enough hair to cover up her problems and two boards for back legs that will never be able to support her weight as a fat show heifer.

finally the voice of reason!

Sorry, but I don't see this heifer as a show propsect, or a registered breeder. Commercial breeder ... ok.

Too straight in the legs, lacks length, depth and muscle expression.

I can't see the other heifers

Latest posts