Feedback on ss niagara bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
Not a whole lot of info out there that I have been able to find. Numbers sure seem good, I like the Hoover dam in his background. Little worried about his low doc. How is the temperament of his calves? Do they grow like his numbers say? Unlikely, but anyone have daughters in production or close?
Update: looks like they raised his doc epd. Last time I looked it was a 12, now it's 22

Really like the calves. Came easy for us. Docile, and are growing well. Have some shape but still too early to tell. Going back again and use him this fall.

First calves here are weaned. Good disposition, more bone than most calving ease bulls. Muscle shape is good also.

W.B.":kg3xgk74 said:
First calves here are weaned. Good disposition, more bone than most calving ease bulls. Muscle shape is good also.
How are the heifers? Good as Hoover dam? Would you use him again?

Doc 23 top 15% accuracy 67%
pedigree Hoover Dam, New Day 454 & CC&7 no reason to expect anything other than good dispositions.
Breed average calving ease.... a good looking bull.

There's a lot to like about Niagara.

Yes we used him again. Heifers won't calve here until spring 2019 so time will tell. Hoover Dam progeny get a little tubular for my taste and Niagara seems to put more body on them than his sire. There is no one magic bull that does everything but I like what I see so far from Niagara. His early proof is not from just one or two herds so I don't see his epds changing drastically going forward.

Thank you guys. How is the birthweight on him? According to his numbers I would think they come pretty easy, but was wanting some personal experience. Wondering if I could put him in a few heifers that gave very good pelvic measurements

Yes we used him on heifers. They are born with some bone but never had to help any.

W.B.":6ki1gy7p said:
Yes we used him again. Heifers won't calve here until spring 2019 so time will tell. Hoover Dam progeny get a little tubular for my taste and Niagara seems to put more body on them than his sire. There is no one magic bull that does everything but I like what I see so far from Niagara. His early proof is not from just one or two herds so I don't see his epds changing drastically going forward.
Any updates on him? How are those heifers looking this spring?

They are looking good. Not the prettiest fronted but I think they are feminine enough to be fertile and functional. They for the most part look very much like the picture SS has of his mother. I will keep them and breed them and will know more in time. The steers display more performance than any calving ease bull I have ever used. Very good looking animals that have some meat in them. They look like they will yield better than average. I have a nice group of S Summit daughters in the keeper pen and am considering breeding them to Niagara to make more 3/4 sibs to the ones I have already. I think his calving ease direct is a little higher than his epd shows.

We used both sexed and conventional last breeding season. Good conception.
We're still calving but so far I'm very impressed. Some of the nicest calves we've had in quite a few years.
Calved easy on heifers and cows so far. Up quickly nursing.
Will definitely be holding onto heifers as replacements.
The steers are very stout. I can see getting more at sale time for them.
Docility is really good so far. Easy to work around. Not hot at all.
I'm currently considering this breeding seasons sires and weighing pretty heavily towards using him again.
I look forward to seeing how these calves do over the next few months. So far I'm impressed.

W.B.":dohtwvt3 said:
They are looking good. Not the prettiest fronted but I think they are feminine enough to be fertile and functional. They for the most part look very much like the picture SS has of his mother. I will keep them and breed them and will know more in time. The steers display more performance than any calving ease bull I have ever used. Very good looking animals that have some meat in them. They look like they will yield better than average. I have a nice group of S Summit daughters in the keeper pen and am considering breeding them to Niagara to make more 3/4 sibs to the ones I have already. I think his calving ease direct is a little higher than his epd shows.

I apprecite all the responses. Sounds like he might be a winner.
WB or DRR- have either of to pelvic measured or track scored yet? Or are they still to young?
Select sires has him on special right now 30-50-100 straw discounts. I wish I had someone close who could split an order with me. I don't really need 100 straws of him.

Tbrake":nfyd7yyx said:
W.B.":nfyd7yyx said:

I apprecite all the responses. Sounds like he might be a winner.
WB or DRR- have either of to pelvic measured or track scored yet? Or are they still to young?
Select sires has him on special right now 30-50-100 straw discounts. I wish I had someone close who could split an order with me. I don't really need 100 straws of him.

Mine are too young still. Sorry. Man I wish I could get in on that deal as well. I definitely am going to use him another year.

Latest posts