Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

> Is bird feed fatal to horses if
> they eat it?

Mar, yes if it is chicken scratch or mash.It will cause colic and founder.If it is house hold bird food probbly not,unless a horse got into a barrel of it.Also it would depend on the type of seed as some seed could be poisionus.

[email protected]

> Mar, yes if it is chicken scratch
> or mash.It will cause colic and
> founder.If it is house hold bird
> food probbly not,unless a horse
> got into a barrel of it.Also it
> would depend on the type of seed
> as some seed could be poisionus. Sorry but chicken scratch is not poisonous to horses, neither is bird seed. Unless the feed contains anything other than grain or seed there will be no adverse reaction unless the horse "pigged out" on it.

[email protected]

Beath,You may be right,because years ago the feed companeys did put antiboticts in chichen feeds and stimulants to cause chickens to gtow or lay eggs. Today they may not I don't know I don't beleave there lableing as we have seen with other animals that companys don't allways tell the consumer what is in the package. Translated an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. DON"T let your HORSE get into feed of any kind.Unless you give it to them and never let anyone elce feed your house anything unless you know what it is.. Thee vet bills are not worth the treats or the feed. Also yes there are some seeds that may be unhealthy for the horse to eat ( bird food) I watched some that was throwen out and it sprung up with a varity of lupen that was unhealthy for horses when the pods are in it.also more often than not weeds are spread fron inocent bird food throwen out.why bother???

[email protected]

Latest posts