Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

blranch

Reaction score
What, in your experience, is the best way to feed out your show steers?

I usually have given them a custom mixed feed, that they advised for me at the mill and then give them a little slab of good dairy quality hay. I feed twice a day.

I am thinking that I should go to something a little better quality.

What should I go to? Heard that Acco or something like that was good?

2barmcattle":xjjx0e4d said:
Acco - Showmaster Calf Grower. Can't go wrong with it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've tried everything and have always come back to Acco.

If in good quality dairy hay, are you referring to alfalfa?
I would feed the calf a good grass hay, not the alfalfa. The alfalfa on top of the grain can be to much,
you have a good chance of bloat or burning up his guts with the alfalfa. The grain should be giving him the nutrients and calories he needs, the hay is filler and helps keep the digestive system in check.

No I was talking about a 2nd or third crop, good grassy hay?

What is the NEG of the Showmaster feed? Probably not real hot, so if you're going to get them fat you're going to have to add something.

IF you have a good mill then the stuff that they will blend for you will be dang near as good as the shiney bag stuff at about half the price. Most of the mills are associated with one of the big feed companies
(and most of those companies have a show feed) somehow so you can get them to lean on their nutritionist at corporate and get the specs that they need. Remember show stock is still just stock with the same requirements as his brothers in the feedlot.

Hay-just grass.

Engler":2fd6npws said:
What is the NEG of the Showmaster feed? Probably not real hot, so if you're going to get them fat you're going to have to add something.

IF you have a good mill then the stuff that they will blend for you will be dang near as good as the shiney bag stuff at about half the price. Most of the mills are associated with one of the big feed companies
(and most of those companies have a show feed) somehow so you can get them to lean on their nutritionist at corporate and get the specs that they need. Remember show stock is still just stock with the same requirements as his brothers in the feedlot.

Hay-just grass.

I would rather be in control of my feed, not have a bunch made up that I can change.

Hay-just grass.

I would rather be in control of my feed, not have a bunch made up that I can change.

????

The ability to change feed is exactly why to use the local mill. You can tell them that I need 50 pounds more corn and 25 pounds more cotton seed than what was in the last batch and they can do it for you. You're not stuck with the 3 choices put out there by the big companies. This is all assuming that you're smart enough to know what a calf needs and be able to see the changes that different feedstuffs make. If not, just keep sipping the Kool-Aid

We don't have a mill within 100 miles of use that can make feed worth a flip. I use acco grower for my base because it is the most consistent feed on the market. From there I add what I want to the feed to get the desired mix.

Not trying to poke at you with a stick or pee in your wheaties, but what is wrong with the mills around you? Is it the quality/consistancy of the blend, the quality of feedstuffs, or do they just not know what to use?

They have no clue what consistency is. You might open a bag and it be all corn or have to use a grubbing hoe to scrape the feed out because of all the molases(sp).

Any of you guys try Land-O-Lakes show feed, its what they have at my towns mill.
I was looking for the Acco-Showmaster, but none of the mills have it around here.

Whatever happen to just plain old corn and oats? We dont feed out many calves but have fed our 4-H steers and they do better on that than anything else. But like I said we dont feed many

Latest posts