Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I live in North Georgia and I have two or three questions about feed for my cattle. I have been feeding about 4-5 lbs. of 12% sweet feed once a day, plus coastal bermuda hay. Someone told me, that I should start feeding something with less molasses. I asked at local farm supply and they suggested feeding 12% Bull Test Beef Feed, which is higher priced than sweet feed. This is a grain mix and also is medicated. Is this the way I should go, or is there something that is better?

[email protected]

Look into a 12% dairy ration or check with other feed companies/mills in your area. I saw the other coments about feeding rodent butts and personally don't see anything wrong with feeding it. Of course we never have fed anything like that but we have access to other feeds and sweetfeed is always way more expensive.

dunmovin

> I live in North Georgia and I have
> two or three questions about feed
> for my cattle. I have been feeding
> about 4-5 lbs. of 12% sweet feed
> once a day, plus coastal bermuda
> hay. Someone told me, that I
> should start feeding something
> with less molasses. I asked at
> local farm supply and they
> suggested feeding 12% Bull Test
> Beef Feed, which is higher priced
> than sweet feed. This is a grain
> mix and also is medicated. Is this
> the way I should go, or is there
> something that is better?

> I live in North Georgia and I have
> two or three questions about feed
> for my cattle. I have been feeding
> about 4-5 lbs. of 12% sweet feed
> once a day, plus coastal bermuda
> hay. Someone told me, that I
> should start feeding something
> with less molasses. I asked at
> local farm supply and they
> suggested feeding 12% Bull Test
> Beef Feed, which is higher priced
> than sweet feed. This is a grain
> mix and also is medicated. Is this
> the way I should go, or is there
> something that is better?

Maybe you are spending too much $$ feeding your cattle. Fertilized coastal cut at the right time is pretty good hay (protein wise). Have you ever monitored your cattle's condition after feeding just good coastal hay and a trace mineral program designed for your area? Do they really need the other suplements? Of course the feed store people will tell you do, but they are not unbiased.

> Hey..I'm in Central AL...IMHO I think it depends a lot on what you're dealing with. If you've got replacement heifers that you're trying to get to a certain maturity fast then I think you're doing the right thing by supplementing. If it's stocker cattle then I think good hay is ok as long as they have some winter grazing too. I raise repl. heifers and have some that I'll breed for the first time in March..they need to be ready. I feed pressed Soybean Hulls. Buy them at your Co-op or feed processor. I pay $150 per ton already bagged. You can buy cheaper in the 1500 pound tote if you have the equip. to handle it. Works fine for me...it's 13% protein and price is right. Hope this helps.

[email protected]

I run a feed store and don't need to make recomendations based on profit. I run a cattle operation also and know what I'm doing in both. I regularly recommend feeding less or nothing as the situation dictates because I want people to be successful in order to be in business when they need me.

[email protected]

Latest posts