feed

Help Support CattleToday:

smallrancher

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea for me? I grind my own feed and have just been giving ground corn for cows and ground corn for calves with starter top dressed. I would like to mix up a batch that will work for cows and calves as I will feed both a small amount daily thru the summer just to keep them coming thru the corral so that when I go to breed it is no big deal. Maybe a simple additive or two that would be beneficial? They are on pasture and have a mineral lick tub. Thanks

Sounds like nutrition is not what you are trying to solve.
Sounds like you are trying to condition your cows and calves for an easy roundup.
Right? If so just grind up some hay, and add some ground corn for cows and use the ground corn for calves in their creep feeder.
Do you have a creep feeder? Would you like too?
A creep feeder is not only to feed calves, it can be used to seperate the calves from the cows simply by closing a gate.
It certainly would make roundup and weaning a whole lot easer and your calves would sell for a better price. You would be surprised how much a creep feeder cuts down on stress on both the cows and calves, not to mention you. ;-)
How many cows do you have?
SL

cowboyup216":3n2dsvlg said:
50% cracked corn 50% corn gluten works real well. Either liquid or dried gluten.

If you're referring to corn gluten feed, not corn gluten meal, you should use a high calcium, low phosphorus mineral to correct the imbalance this mix will have.

Sir Loin, I actually did make somewhat of a creep feeder this year by raising up a gate going into the shed to about 4' so only calves could go in, it worked really well. Except now I am weaning so you know what it sounds like around here right now. I've only got 6 cows plus calves, but I hope to keep expanding, it's been a rough start the past few years with buying and selling. I started with junk from the sales barn, and have now gotten it weaned down to some decent quality cows that are calm. I might put some hay in with the corn. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts