Feed Supplementing

Help Support CattleToday:

Buckaroo

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out feeding for this winter and i have a few questions i dont quite understand. Ok so if i supplement with range cubes do they increase the TDN of my feed or no. I believe i understand how much extra protien i get out of them but having trouble understanding the TDN. Also how do i compare supplementing with range cubes compared to say dried distillers grain or corn syrup. thank you for the advice.

Way to many variables and not enough information- call your extension agent

Howdyjabo":2ahup643 said:
Way to many variables and not enough information- call your extension agent

I understand the variables are great i didnt ask for you to calculate it for me. I just asked if someone had enough knowledge to explain to me how it makes a difference and how to calculate it myself. I thank you for answering but if thats the best you got i could ask anybody around and they could tell me something like that so they dont have to fess up to not knowing. if you do know how to calculate than explain it and if you dont want to take the time to explain it than take your comments elsewhere if they are full of nothing but hot air.

Actually I am EXCELLENT at formulating rations- and my response stands and I think you are being offended for no good reason.

Howdyjabo":3kfguto4 said:
Actually I am EXCELLENT at formulating rations- and my response stands and I think you are being offended for no good reason.

I am not offended at all. I am however saying that you are not giving anything helpful. There is variations on everything. I didnt ask for it to be calculated i asked for someone to explain to me exactly how something like range cubes affect the actaul feeds TDN. i didnt ask you to figure any specific things on it just how it does affect it other than makes it more digestable which is what the office tells me. The other thing i asked is hwo to figure the difference in range cubes and dry distillars grain. So again if you are so excellent at formulating rations than it should be a breeze to explain how to figure it out and how it affects the feed you already have. Then i can figure out the rest. So again if you cant explain that it is fine just again telling me you are excellent at it is of no use to me. I could tell you i am a excellent bronc rider if you was asking for tips on riding but it would do you no good same as if i told you to go to a school for riding. Are you catching what i am putting out here.

I have no idea what is in your range cubes or what nutrients are in your grass/hay(or whatever).So no I cannot tell you if your range cubes are raising your TDN. I don't even know what part of the country you are from to give me even a shot at guessing what you have to work with as far as forage..
Not having the basic facts in your post, lead me to your best solution-- which was an exchange of facts and options with your extension agent.

I can tell you that the first thing you need to do- is have some kind of idea what nutrition is in your forage
Then balance the protein-- if theres not enough of that cattle cannot digest forage. Next is to get the energy level up to a workable level.Without adding so much starch that it interferes with the rumen bugs.

If all you need is alot of protein- distillers might be the best supplement
If you need just a little protein a lick tank might be best.
If you need protein and a little energy a high protein pellet might work better- especially if you need to stretch forage
If all you need is energy a lower protein pellet may be what you need
If you have all the necessary nutrients in your forage- you may need nothing but some cheap bait pellet.

How much is your time worth? Would extra labor have more value over spending more money?
would it be better to feed a pellet with minerals already in it over finding another way to supply minerals?
Do you have storage for distillers? Are you using enough to be worth storing it? (the way things are going I wouldn't count on having a get it as you need it supply)
I have no idea what your goal is-- are you trying to stretch hay(or whatever) or just supplement?
are we talking cows, calves, heifers, cows with calves?

Then you have to add in what would be the cheapest way to go-- and you gave NOTHing that would help there.

Latest posts