Feed Storage

Help Support CattleToday:

twabscs

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been awhile since I posted, but things are going okay, even with $0.90 calves. :(

The point of my post is to get input on storage options for feed like pellets and cubes. Up to now I've been buying by the sack but it's too expensive now that I'm over 100 head. The local coop can deliver 2 tons at a time but I need something to store it in. Given the low calf price, I'm holding back most of my hiefers this year and will give them a bit of feed every day or two to keep them happy and coming to the bucket.

Any ideas? I do have an old barn for storage and I don't want to spring $2K for a simple bin at this point.

Thanks,

Tom

If you are looking for a bare minimum, "can it" or bag it yourself.

The old lady with the nurse cows that I refer to often does just that. She has it delivered and then shovels it into barrels just full enough for her to handle with a had truck. Much of it goes into buckets and some goes into bags. Some goes to a little creep feeder.

I use plastic 55 gal drums with ring type lids, I carry them to the feed mill and they fill them on the back of my truck. I normally by 5 drums at a time and when I get home I scoop it out of each barrel until half full and then slide them off the truck and keep doing this until I have them all off and where I want them. I usually buy soy hull pellets for general use and corn when I am feeding off some freezer beef.

If the truck delivers, it should not be a problem to have them fill the barrels if you are there to help move from 1 to the next.

twabscs":11xwr13s said:
Hi All,

Been awhile since I posted, but things are going okay, even with $0.90 calves. :(

The point of my post is to get input on storage options for feed like pellets and cubes. Up to now I've been buying by the sack but it's too expensive now that I'm over 100 head. The local coop can deliver 2 tons at a time but I need something to store it in. Given the low calf price, I'm holding back most of my hiefers this year and will give them a bit of feed every day or two to keep them happy and coming to the bucket.

Any ideas? I do have an old barn for storage and I don't want to spring $2K for a simple bin at this point.

Thanks,

Tom

If you have a front end loader you can build a concrete slab in your old barn. Dump the feed on the slab. You can build some retaining wooden walls so it scoops easily.

id buy a 3 or 4 ton grain bin.an have your coop come out an fill it up.you can put an auger an electric motor on it.an auger the feed into buckets.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. I do have one barn, basically an old garage, that has a cement floor. I can either build something that will hold two tons of feed and keeps the vermin out, buy a bunch of barrels to store it in, or go with buying a grain bin. Not sure what it would cost to build something out of 2x4s and plywood for two tons of storage versus just buying one of those plastic grain bins. What's the cubic foot required for two tons of commodity pellets?

Oh, and yeah, I have a front end loader to help load or unload.

Thanks again,

Tom

Why not buy an old gravity wagon and store it in the barn, take feed out when its needed. Can get them in decent shape around here for $300 and if the feed is delivered then you dont have to worry about how well it trails on the road.

There you go. Already have the front-end loader. Already have the barn. Already have the slab. You don't need retaining walls if you want to shovel instead. Shovel work never hurt anyone except me. I wouldn't worry about the vermin. Just shut the door to keep bigger animals out.

Vermin don't seem to care about loose SBH or CGF- don't know if pelleting will make a difference.

I've been thinking about the same thing. I only have about 20 momma cows, so my storage needs are not as great. Been thinking if I could find a used Trip Hopper and put it on a trailer, it would store enough cubes to last at least a week (depending on size of the Trip Hopper). Could then buy in bulk at the feed store and go back whenever I need to refill.

I don't have a barn with a concrete floor. Moving barrells around is hard work, which I'm allergic to. The only other option that I can think of is a small silo.

my feed bin is an old freezer that broke. keeps the feed fresh for awhile and rats can't get in it. neither can coons.

KYMF230":3oqz9h6t said:
Why not buy an old gravity wagon and store it in the barn, take feed out when its needed. Can get them in decent shape around here for $300 and if the feed is delivered then you dont have to worry about how well it trails on the road.

That's what I usually do as well. I did weld some flat metal onto the chute coming out to narrow down the stream of pellets so they would go into a 5gallon bucket. This year, I'm buying sack feed for about the same price as bulk, so I chose the sacks for having a better measure of consumption.

dyates":3ts2ilzf said:
KYMF230":3ts2ilzf said:

That's what I usually do as well. I did weld some flat metal onto the chute coming out to narrow down the stream of pellets so they would go into a 5gallon bucket. This year, I'm buying sack feed for about the same price as bulk, so I chose the sacks for having a better measure of consumption.

If the local mill is the one bagging it, you might ask them if you open the bags from the bottom so the easy open at the top is still intact if they'll give you a refund on the bags. The local mill quit bagging but I used to get 2 bits a bag by opening the bottom instead of the top.

We use everything that has been mentioned above . Our feed containers range from water tanks to bins that hold a semi load .A 100 gallon rubermaid water tank will hold about 500 lbs of feed and you can put them in your loader bucket and carry to where they are needed . The next step up is feed tanks with a slide valve on the bottom, I bought 1 new ( 1 1/2 tons) for $750 and bought 1 used for $250 .Around here 3 or 4 ton bulk tanks are a cheap and plentiful .I just keep my eyes peeled and if I see a bin or steer stuffer just sitting around I stop and try to buy it . Classifieds in farm publications would be another good source .

Larry

Some folks just get an old grain wagon and let the feed company pump the feed into it..when full they back it into the barn...or garage :)

I have used bulk soybean seed bags to store feed. Handling them can be a challenge unless you have the proper equipment. Once full you can just open the top and scoop out the feed.

For storing modest amounts of bulk feed, of the type you describe, perhaps a discarded chest freezer is something to consider. A "thrown away" chest freezer is often structurally sound and typically has a broken motor/compressor which you do not need anyway. The seal on the lid may be suitable enough for bult feed storage purposes. Or, you can improvise a seal that suits you. Most vermin become offended and leave in a huff when confronted with the requirement to lift the lid (without having dined). The old chest freezer, when empty, is fairly portable so you may be able to fill (no pun intended) your modest bulk feed storage needs and save some steps too.

Around here most folks use gravity wagons or feed bins. I like the gravity wagons because they are portable. I have 2 wagons that will hold around 6 tons each. I made some tarp bows out of 3/4" EMT conduit and just bent them in a simple A-frame configuration. The feed truck just augers the feed right into them......no fuss, no mess. I also did as previously mentioned and narrowed the spouts down to fill 5 gallon buckets. You can buy a pretty decent wagon around here for around 800 bucks.

Latest posts