Feed Ration for calf

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
I am planning to feed a steer out in the near future. I would like to go to the feed store and ask them to mix up a ration that I could feed for approx 90 - 120 days. What would be a good mix? I want to take a 600-700 lb steer and feed out to 1000 lbs or so.

I've thought about using the Calf/Grower finisher from Tractor supply, but it seems pretty high a $8.38 bag.

Isn't there a farm supply store near you. Someone who sells feed,seed and fertilizer for a living. Maybe mixes feed. Tractor Supply can get pretty expensive, buying out of a 50 lb. bag. In your part of Texas I
would think that you could do better than TSC.

Yes, there are several feed stores in my area that could mix a ration. I have bought from several different ones, including TSC. I usually check around when buying range cubes and such to see who is cheapest.

I just wanted to get some recomendations on a mixture before I went in to the feed mill and asked them to mix something up. I didn't want to rely totally on what they recommended. Guess I was just trying to figure out what has worked best for other people, both economically and for producing a good finished freezer beef calf.

Thanks

The feed stores in your area will probably be honest with you and will probably know the kind of mixtue you will need. Check with several of them before you make your decision, you might find they will pretty much give you similar answers and prices.

The reason that I ask about a local feed store is that different grains
can vary much on supply in certain areas. What may be cheap in one
place could be high a few hundred miles away. I would expect that milo
would be cheaper in your area than corn. What I would use for roughage
could be high where you are. You may have something better and cheaper.
I agree with jw, the local feed dealers will probaly be honest and want to do a good job for you. One bad deal can ruin a hundred good deals for them.

One scoop corn two scoops oats one half scoop bran to the mix with one good big fleak of hay. On the feed ration start out with about 5# of feed twice daily gradualy increasing till their manuer gets loose enough to pool but not run or splatter. As the calf gets fed longer gradually replace one scoop of oats with corn. Don't feed any more than they will clean up at one eating. Make your feedings as close to 12 hours apart as feasable. Remember Good big fleak of hay with each feeding.All of this is per calf.

Ollie":1ohyk7ki said:
One scoop corn two scoops oats one half scoop bran to the mix with one good big fleak of hay. On the feed ration start out with about 5# of feed twice daily gradualy increasing till their manuer gets loose enough to pool but not run or splatter. As the calf gets fed longer gradually replace one scoop of oats with corn. Don't feed any more than they will clean up at one eating. Make your feedings as close to 12 hours apart as feasable. Remember Good big fleak of hay with each feeding.All of this is per calf.

If my math is correct, that would be a mix of

57% oats
28 % corn
15 % bran

with access to hay and plenty of water. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I go by the feed store.

We feed weaned calves a little Hi-Pro Beef Starter 287 as well as feed a little to cows about to calve as well as little after calving. Runs $6.25 bag at our local feed store. Are also paying $4.95 bag for 20% Evergreen Range Cubes. The proprietary bagged stuff also has minerals and other micronutrients. We feel proper and adequate minerals available 24/7 are very important part to raising healthy animals as well as minimizing the possibility of calf problems.

We've only had two minor incidents of mild diarrhea in 2 calves over past 3 years. Merely gave them a huge green pill and problem cleared up in 2 days. Have never had a calf that failed to nurse or a cow that refused her calf.

TXBobcat,
Your math is correct however your comprehension is a little off.The process that I gave you is by volume (scoop). The formula that you applied is by weight. Get a sack of each of the three grains and a scoop at tractor supply. Mix it up like I said and feed like I told you . Also notice that I told you a fleak of hay morning and night not free choice hay which I thought I heard you thinking. I know these things seem small however they work. Good luck on your steers. Ollie

corn 56# to the bushel
oats 32# (usually 38) to the bushel
bran 15# to 20# to the bushel

We feed wheat straw instead of hay because its cheaper, yet gives them enough roughage in their diet. Just a thought.

Latest posts