Feed ration and mixing

Help Support CattleToday:

scvfd_7241

Reaction score
So I'm trying to work all of the bugs out of a small feedyard I'm trying to start. So I have talked with a neighbor who feeds a few tractor trailer loads a year and he suggested doing a tmr or a wet ration. My problem is I only plan to do about 60 head at a time and probably 2 loads a year currently. Therefore I can not really justify buying a mixing wagon yet. Does anyone have a way of doing a tmr without a mixing wagon? Some of the ingredients im looking into using would be corn whole or cracked, ddg, wet dg, gin trash, soybeans, wheat, corn gluten pellets, soy hull pellets, and peanuts.

I've heard of folks actually trying to use a concrete mixer. The beauty of the mixer wagon is that if done properly you get a very good mix and cattle can't pick and choose. Most of the ingredients you listed above can be mixed in a horizontal mixer and they are not quite so expensive. You might even find a decent used one.

I was on a dairy one time (milking 400) that had large wooden bunks. They filled them using a skid steer. They put the good stuff on the bottom and worked the feed up in layers. They said that the cows did a pretty good job of mixing it up. They filled the bunks while the cows were locked away from this area getting milked.
One summer a number of years ago I was feeding fresh sweat corn cannery waste. I found that I had to lock the cows away from the feed bunk while I was filling it. With just 60 head it would be easy to lock them away from the bunk while you fill it by any means. When you turn them loose they will spread out along the bunk to eat.

I was on a dairy one time (milking 400) that had large wooden bunks. They filled them using a skid steer. They put the good stuff on the bottom and worked the feed up in layers. They said that the cows did a pretty good job of mixing it up. They filled the bunks while the cows were locked away from this area getting milked.
One summer a number of years ago I was feeding fresh sweat corn cannery waste. I found that I had to lock the cows away from the feed bunk while I was filling it. With just 60 head it would be easy to lock them away from the bunk while you fill it by any means. When you turn them loose they will spread out along the bunk to eat.
Just making sure I'm understanding you right. Your saying leave the calves out of the feeding alley, and fill the bunks with each individual ingredient, no prefixing. And let the calves in and let them eat. This would be much better if I can, seeing I am planning to have gates at both ends of the feeding alley anyways. And p

So I'm trying to work all of the bugs out of a small feedyard I'm trying to start. So I have talked with a neighbor who feeds a few tractor trailer loads a year and he suggested doing a tmr or a wet ration. My problem is I only plan to do about 60 head at a time and probably 2 loads a year currently. Therefore I can not really justify buying a mixing wagon yet. Does anyone have a way of doing a tmr without a mixing wagon? Some of the ingredients im looking into using would be corn whole or cracked, ddg, wet dg, gin trash, soybeans, wheat, corn gluten pellets, soy hull pellets, and peanuts.
If you can buy all the ingredients, except gin trash, premixed, then hand feed those ingredients. Feed the gin trash free choice in hay rings. Know a guy that does this and works well. Cattle will eat all the mixed feed and fill their bellies with the gin trash.

If you can buy all the ingredients, except gin trash, premixed, then hand feed those ingredients. Feed the gin trash free choice in hay rings. Know a guy that does this and works well. Cattle will eat all the mixed feed and fill their bellies with the gin trash.
I was just getting ready to ask about feeding gin trash free choice. I will check into the feasibility of feeding this way.

If there's a local co- op or something similar that mixes commodities for you, I'd think with the number you're feeding that it'd be better to buy in bulk already mixed rather than spending your time mixing besides the expense of the mixer. I could be wrong and time may not be an issue for you.

First think u need to do is learn how to justify buying equipment or ur not a real cow man. 🤠

Latest posts