Feed Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Mongoose

Reaction score
People tell me all the time around here, "yeah, we been feeding about 1-3tons of Staley's Wet Feed a week. My question is this, why are these people feeding their cows so much and why do they call it wet feed? I also thought if the cows dont need it, they dont get it. My cows arent on any feed right now. They do just fine on pasture.

Some of the others around you may not have the pasture you have. With the drought conditions, they probably need it.

CSM

Also, some people just like to feed their cattle - makes em feel like they are truly caring for the animals. Have a friend that does this out of a bag. (They buy a pallet of bag feed a week) For the life of me I can't figure out how they can continue doing this but they do. Do they make money doing it - I seriously doubt it but they sure have some pretty cows.

Thats what I mean, these people are buying feed by the ton, I seriously have no earthly idea how they plan on making ANY profit at all.

- they call it wet because it is.
Depending on what it is it can be up to 70% water .

So lets say its 50% DM (dry matter) then its 50% water
So when they feed it -
for every ton they feed they are only feeding the equivalent of 1/2 ton of a dry feed.
Basically when feeding wet is sounds like they are feeding alot more than they actually are.

It used to be real cheap to feed wet products if you were close-
thats changing.
But at one time it was worth doing because you could increase your carrying capacity,decrease breed back time , increase % dropped,increase wt gain on calves, and decrease the need for hay in short supply periods.

So how exactly do you store this? Is the water already mixed or do you have to add water?

The water is already there. most of the time its a byproduct (refuse) off of some type of commercial production-- most byproducts can be dried and sold(beet pulp, citrus pulp,DDG,CGF ect) but its expensive and time consuming- so they sell as much wet as they can.

As far as storing- its different for different products
But the basic is to dump it on the ground or a pad or pit- and use it up before it spoils.
Or some you can mix with other ingredients and make silage out of it
Or some are stored in plastic tubes(like silage).

Latest posts