Feed Question- Tule Grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have the option to get this tule grass for a really good deal, but I'm worried my cattle won't eat it if I pull the trigger and buy it. They're currently grazing and getting fed dumps of carrots. What would y'all do?

Also- we do not have a grinder.

Attachments

• C2EAE95F-EF04-413B-8759-75E11EB856EF.jpeg
    C2EAE95F-EF04-413B-8759-75E11EB856EF.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 40D15E8D-D369-4AF3-A6CA-B08CB6360B06.jpeg
    40D15E8D-D369-4AF3-A6CA-B08CB6360B06.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 9650E298-F0BE-471E-957F-4F3C59E40167.jpeg
    9650E298-F0BE-471E-957F-4F3C59E40167.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
Have you looked up Tule? It appears to be a rush. Not much nutrition. If you had a tub grinder and the right commodities, you could blend something that would feed a cow.

As you have no experience with Tule, (nor do I), start with a hay analysis of the cutting you are looking to buy. That won't tell you if your cattle will eat it, but it will tell you if the cutting is the equivalent of snowballs nutritionally or something better. Well seasoned farmers around here have a saying for any hay that they feed, especially when hay is scarce. "At least it's better than snowballs". My response to that is "If they only knew." I've seen livestock starve to death with a full stomach of hay that is "better than snowballs."

As you have no experience with Tule, (nor do I), start with a hay analysis of the cutting you are looking to buy. That won't tell you if your cattle will eat it, but it will tell you if the cutting is the equivalent of snowballs nutritionally or something better. Well seasoned farmers around here have a saying for any hay that they feed, especially when hay is scarce. "At least it's better than snowballs". My response to that is "If they only knew." I've seen livestock starve to death with a full stomach of hay that is "better than snowballs."
I was curious so I just tried to look it up myself. My impression upon doing that is that it very well could be the equivalent of snowballs. My thoughts are that this might make better bedding or landscape mulch than feed. Again I have no experience, but I'm not impressed with what I'm finding.

It (or something visually very similar) was growing all around the edges of my pond. Cows would nibble on it ONLY in extreme drought when there was nothing else to eat.
I wouldn't give $0.10/ton for it and then, only if I was going to have a big bonfire.

There is a little patch of them on the side of the meadow where there is a spring. I winter a bunch of cows on that field. After they eat their hay they wander aroudn looking for something to munch on. I have never once seen them or sign of them eating the Tule.

Latest posts