Feed Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

jgibson

Reaction score
We usually feed a 50/50 mix of soybean hull pellets and corn gluten pellets. We buy them premixed in the large ton bags. I just called and our feed store doesn't have any corn gluten and doesn't know when they will get any in. Now I got to figure out a different feed regime or find a different supplier. I am in northern Alabama. Does anyone have any suggestions for either?

jgibson":39u6332s said:
We usually feed a 50/50 mix of soybean hull pellets and corn gluten pellets. We buy them premixed in the large ton bags. I just called and our feed store doesn't have any corn gluten and doesn't know when they will get any in. Now I got to figure out a different feed regime or find a different supplier. I am in northern Alabama. Does anyone have any suggestions for either?
That's a mix I hear of pretty often. Not a balanced ration at all either but the teaser seems to be that it is always cheap. If you're simply supplementing poor grazing or low quality hay buy some 20% cubes.

It would have to be calculated out but what soybean meal in place of the CG

TexasBred":2al9z664 said:
jgibson":2al9z664 said:
That's a mix I hear of pretty often. Not a balanced ration at all either but the teaser seems to be that it is always cheap. If you're simply supplementing poor grazing or low quality hay buy some 20% cubes.

Would cubes be cheaper than what he is always feeding? None ready available in my area, or atleast not in bulk.

I had the same problem last month. No 50/50 blend. Am feeding 13% pellet until things get right again.
The 50/50 is a good feed and will keep weight on cattle.

Bigfoot":2jgk5a89 said:
Would cubes be cheaper than what he is always feeding? None ready available in my area, or atleast not in bulk.

BF you guys don't have cubes available?? If you do they always seem work best here because they are always available at the feed store. Not always the best buy but at least you can always get them, they are convenient, contain added vitamins and minerals and are a good supplement to low quality grazing and/or hay.
These other blends folks are using are "cheap" but the few folks I've know that fed the mix had to always buy it bulk which means having storage space, shelling out a good chunk of cash up front and you need feed troughs etc. AND it's not a balanced ration. Given the choice I'll take cubes all day long. Just my opinion tho. I'm sure many will disagree.

Latest posts