Feed Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a drop in feed prices yet? The prices here seem to be holding even though the grains have been dropping for a month

i havent seen a dropp in feed prices.still giving tween $7 an $8 a sack for 14% creep feed.

HEREFORD ROADHOG":2di6l2lg said:
this goes to disprove the old saying that what goes up must come down....not always ;-)

Ingredient prices are falling on the futures market. Corn is at just above $3.70 a bushel...only thing....nobody is selling...I figure most of the feed companies bought what they needed back in September to cover their winter bookings so don't expect much movement on the downside for feed even if your supplier is able to buy a little cheaper he may just see it as a chance to make a little extra money.

At the mill I use prices dropped by $3.00 a hundred. At the co-op, some of their feeds (the ones they mill/produce there) have dropped by .50 to $1.00 per 50 depending on the product. Name brand feeds, like Triple Crown etc. have incresed by $2.00 per 50. :roll:

Katherine

Don't buy feed just grass summer and winter . Have supplemented CLS with sorry hay, no more as it has went from 1.50 a gallon to 3.00. Anything that needs more than grass doesn't have a home here.

Caustic Burno":2j5vmb7m said:
Don't buy feed just grass summer and winter . Have supplemented CLS with sorry hay, no more as it has went from 1.50 a gallon to 3.00. Anything that needs more than grass doesn't have a home here.
Is your hay ferilized? I have been wanting to try to go without protein but my hay isnt fertilized and I have no idea to its protein content.

denoginnizer":388t319f said:
Caustic Burno":388t319f said:
Is your hay ferilized? I have been wanting to try to go without protein but my hay isnt fertilized and I have no idea to its protein content.

I have both fertilized and unfertilized and I have no idea of the protien content either. As an old friend of mine has stated if the cow can't perform on my grass I'm changing the cow not the grass. Buying feed in a sack is like having an ARM on your house.

Caustic Burno":1s2xvn65 said:

Hey CB around here you can buy condensed solubles from the ethanol plant, here of people getting it to supplement sorry hay. 8% protien, they say just poor it over the hay. Ever heard of this? Guess it entices then to eat the sorry hay by taste, about $50 a ton I think.

baxter78":2znzsxkg said:
dcara":2znzsxkg said:
Has anyone seen a drop in feed prices yet? The prices here seem to be holding even though the grains have been dropping for a month

When gas prices dropped fertilizer and feed prices both dropped considerably.

Fertilizer hasn;t dropped a penny here but feed has gone down from what I've been told

Caustic Burno":3w3otkuj said:

I agree totally! If we continue to rely on hay there is absolutely no way for the small producer to remain competitive in this business. There are alternatives out there but they don't seem to gaining momentum. If you are reliant on hay or supplements, in my opinion, you are ultimately going to lose big time.

We paid $1.00 a gallon for Mix 30 last year. Got some just the other day for $1.20. It is good stuff and the cows do well on it.

My 2 cents.

Farmgirl

Caustic Burno":ryv5yr30 said:
denoginnizer":ryv5yr30 said:
Caustic Burno":ryv5yr30 said:

I have both fertilized and unfertilized and I have no idea of the protien content either. As an old friend of mine has stated if the cow can't perform on my grass I'm changing the cow not the grass. Buying feed in a sack is like having an ARM on your house.

There have been times when I would sign nothing but an ARM. A time and place for everything.

Latest posts