Feed Oats or Seed Oats

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
What's the difference besides price? I want to plant for grazing cattle only, not to harvest. Which would be the best to plant?

I think feed oats can contain other seeds whereas seed oats are pretty much only going to be oats?

Herefordcross":2i4o4v01 said:
There's a guarenteed germination rate on seed oats but, we have never had any trouble planting rye, oats, wheat, or barley using feed seeds.

The fields that yield good and are clean, I clean and use the next year for seed. I only buy seed oats every other year.

Seed oats will not have as much weed seed in it. However, I don't remember the level of weed seed allowed.

One other consideration for your thoughts, feed oats may be a variety that does not work well in your area. Try to plant a variety that has been tested in your area.

We plant feed oats that are grown locally. We've had real good crops come up. The difference is that they are not germination tested, other then that not much but price.

Thanks for all the input. I've decided to go with seed oats that are grown locally.

Got lucky and got the last 70 sacks the feed store had in stock. They don't expect to get any more in this season.

RCP":2jz4v3di said:
What is the recomended #'s per acre for oats ? RCP

The Arkansas extension service recomends 90-120 pounds per acre.
I just planted wheat it has the same recomended seeding rate, I drilled mine @ 100# acre.

A6gal":36sq1akk said:
Thanks for all the input. I've decided to go with seed oats that are grown locally.

Got lucky and got the last 70 sacks the feed store had in stock. They don't expect to get any more in this season.

A6 what was the price you had to pay per sack.