Feed Mixture

Help Support CattleToday:

j4rcattle

Reaction score
Some ideas on whether this sounds like good feed or not. 30% soyseed hulls 25% distillers grain 20% cracked corn 15% wheat mids 10% cottonseed hulls

Depends on what your feeding it to and what your goal is. It has plenty of energy, plenty of fiber and 4% fat. Protein is around 16%...any particular reason for reaching that high with the protein ??

That would work fine in the dead of winter for my climate. I wouldn't try it in the summer.

No one knows what climate you live in. Big secret? No way to answer your question without knowing what and where.

I live in the Eastern part of Oklahoma. Near Fort Smith AR. I am just wanting a feed that will keep cattle up during the winter. mabey even use on my yearling bulls to feed them out throught the winter.

j4rcattle":2bnq6clm said:
I live in the Eastern part of Oklahoma. Near Fort Smith AR. I am just wanting a feed that will keep cattle up during the winter. mabey even use on my yearling bulls to feed them out throught the winter.

That feed should get it done.

J4 try this:

Corn 25%
Soyhulls 25%
Midds 25%
CSH 15%
DDG 10%

Throw a bag of mineral in the mix and you should have about an 11% feed with 20%+ fiber, good TDN and energy levels, good "fill factor" and some by-pass protein. Feed it to anything on the place that needs it. (Don't forget the mineral)

TexasBred":38fryufv said:
J4 try this:

Corn 25%
Soyhulls 25%
Midds 25%
CSH 15%
DDG 10%

Throw a bag of mineral in the mix and you should have about an 11% feed with 20%+ fiber, good TDN and energy levels, good "fill factor" and some by-pass protein. Feed it to anything on the place that needs it. (Don't forget the mineral)

I am no match for TexasBred. What about feeding strictly hay and minerals?

Is the distillers wet or dry? Is this an as fed mixture or a dm basis? The nutritionist that I work most closely with doesn't like more than 20% ddg on a dm basis. Also watch where the distillers comes from and the sulfer content. That is something that can bounce all over the board depending on various factors.

That ration could be pretty hot, so not too much and not to quick.

Engler":30ddmgxs said:
Is the distillers wet or dry? Is this an as fed mixture or a dm basis? The nutritionist that I work most closely with doesn't like more than 20% ddg on a dm basis. Also watch where the distillers comes from and the sulfer content. That is something that can bounce all over the board depending on various factors.

That ration could be pretty hot, so not too much and not to quick.
20% ddg on a DM basis of the TOTAL RATION. This is simply a mix of concentrates that will be fed with some sort of hay or grass. We cannot assume that the rations will be hot. If he feeds a couple pounds per head per day it wouldn't be hot at all.

You could actually feed it pretty heavily if needed. It's 40% roughage. Although not long stemmed roughage making free choice hay avaiable and then breaking this mixture down into a minimum of 2 feedings a day should give you some pretty good gains.

Latest posts