Feed intake limiter - Purina Accuration

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Anyone use a limiter in their feed? Salt? or other? How about Purina's Accuration? Is Accuration just a salt-based additive?

As we move toward summer, we have yearling and bred heifers that we want to continue feeding but very limited quantity. Short of putting out feed everyday or every other day what works best? Interested in seeing what others do.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I use a range meal mix to limit intake of feed, but usually just in winter. a 2 to1 mix will curb them back, 3 to1 is good if you want them to eat a little more. It also helps them get out an forage a little more. the 2 to 1 range meal may be your best bet...cheap too!

I had accuration added to the creep last year. Smells like dead fish, and I think it had corn in it.

We have used the accuration in the past 2 years to grow our heifers. It is more expensive then salt limited feeds but when you accustom them to it properly with the steps they reccommend it really works great. Our heifers grew like wildfire and were awesome looking animals. We loaded up the bulk feeder with it and as long as it never runs out it is simple and they eat just what you want them to. You adjust how much they eat by the number level of feed you give them, the higher the number the less they will eat. Also make absolutely sure they have water and a forage type food source at all times, or you are shooting yourself in the foot and wasting the extra money the feed costs. And it smells like dead fish because fish meal or fish oil or someting like that is what is used as the limiting factor of the feed. There is not a problem with it rusting out the feeders either like the salt limited feeds.

Sidney

Last fall I saw a group of 40-50 heifers grown out on accuration. I thought they looked a little too fat for replacements. Did you keep yours back or grow them out for sale? If you kept them back, any problems with too much fat? Of course, I guess you could adjust the ratio of limiter to reduce the fat. Anyway, just curious. Thanks

Lee

My 1st set of heifers are actually calving out their 2nd calves right now. Yes they got thick! I didn't have any problems with them though, they were just fleshed out nicely and calved out and didn't lose their condition like some other heifers we raised. One calved Saturday and was ahead of schedule from last year by 2 weeks. I have been pleased with the outcome of the feed compared to other feeds we have used to grow replacements (except cost)

Thanks for the info. We've been thinking about trying it but trying to sort through the hype. Good to have real world data.

Lee

sidney411":3g1ghyqz said:
I have been pleased with the outcome of the feed compared to other feeds we have used to grow replacements (except cost)

Do I understand correctly...you mix Accuration with another feed? It is just a limiter? Did you buy it in bulk or by the bag?

Thanks,

Latest posts