feed getting hot

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a load of corn gluten feed thats has been getting hot spots. I found it smoldering a couple weeks ago so I turned it several times over 2 days and seemed to do the trick. But found it hot again this evening. This will only the 2nd time I've fed it. When it was delivered, I noticed this load had more moisture than the load last fall. I guess its was in the barn about 6 weeks before I notice it getting hot. Edges of bins are not getting hot. Only in the middle. Its been raining everyday all summer but its well covered. Hopefully we'll get some lower humidity soon.

Middle always get hot first. Probably more air would of solved the problem, or no air at all. Pull the tarp off and let it breath in humid weather, then stir the middle every once and a while.

sim.-ang.king":14wmy42j said:
Middle always get hot first. Probably more air would of solved the problem, or no air at all. Pull the tarp off and let it breath in humid weather, then stir the middle every once and a while.
Its in a commodity barn and no tarp over it. Just wide enough to get a truck in. The sides are plywood but sides are staying cool. Just the middle getting hot.I have enough slab in front of barn to pull it all out but its been raining everyday. So just been trying to keep turning it.

Latest posts