Feed for weaned calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Toad

Reaction score
I was hoping some of you could help me out on what to feed my calves that I am weaning. I have three things available locally in bulk. Gluten costs $165 per ton, soy pellets are $200 per ton and corn is $220 per ton. My question is can I use these and if so what mix should I use?

If you have a feed mill that you can get the stuff from, ask them about a ration that runs around 13% protein. That;s the simplist way to do it. We have a specific mixture that we get from the mill that was developed around 10 years ago for us by a nutritionalist, I don;t even remember what all is in besides those 3 things. I just call the mill once a year and have them deliver 3-5 tons of the stuff depending on how many claves we'll be pre-conditioning. After the calves are done it's the same mixture we use to toll the cows up for AI or working them. It has no molasses in it so it doesn;t go rancid or get all sticky when it sits around for a year.

Here's the mix
1350 lbs corn chops
1700 lbs midds pellets
1250 lbs soyhull pellets
1440 lbs corn gluten pllets
450 lbs 32% S/C supplement (not sure what that is)

dun":3uzzpsul said:
Here's the mix
1350 lbs corn chops
1700 lbs midds pellets
1250 lbs soyhull pellets
That will be a high protein blender pellet to supply extra protein and will usually always contain all the vitamins and minerals for the mix.

TexasBred":3e9dx0cv said:
dun":3e9dx0cv said:
Here's the mix
1350 lbs corn chops
1700 lbs midds pellets
1250 lbs soyhull pellets
That will be a high protein blender pellet to supply extra protein and will usually always contain all the vitamins and minerals for the mix.
Correct! I just called the mill and asked.

Jumpstart is 291 a ton but you have to buy 3 tons at a time toad.. You can have them fill feeders with auger truck or in a gravity wagon or on barn floor its 14% with good stuff

kenny thomas":3rz6206b said:
Toad, a mixture of the 3 is not a bad feed if you can do that. I use that mixture.
Local mill here sells a lot of mix with 1/3 hulls, 1/3 gluten or ddg, 1/3 corn with some vitamins added. We have done a mix similar to that on some lightweight feeder calves but tried to keep the protein up to 14% or so, I think the actual 1/3 mix is a little less. We always provided a mineral free choice. A lot depends on your goal with the calves. We now feed a mix made by Performance.

I will also provide a free choice loose mineral. My goal is to simply get them ready to ship later this fall if the market comes back a bit. Thanks for everyone's responses

I guess the next question is if I do a mixture of the three how much should I feed per head per day? These are about 5 weight steers and heifers just weened. They are on decent grass and have good hay available as well.

Toad":bh6mc81d said:
I guess the next question is if I do a mixture of the three how much should I feed per head per day? These are about 5 weight steers and heifers just weened. They are on decent grass and have good hay available as well.
2% of their body weight wll grow them but not get them too fat if they have good forage. so 10-11 lb each a day.

Latest posts