Feed for pregnant heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlecreek

Reaction score
I have 8 heifers that will calve in march. Right now their body score is a 6. They are on stockpiled fescue and I will be feeding fescue hay before long.
Here's my question... My local feed mill has soybean hulls, corn gluten and ground corn. What would be a good mixture of these ingredients to keep body weight on the heifers.
and how much should I hand feed daily to each heifer.
Thanks.

If they are first year calvers, then not much feed at all.. as long as the fescue and hay will keep their weight on, I wouldnt feed em. Reason for this is.. all that feed will go directly to the calves.. and could end up having to pull a few of them if they grow too big.

Limomike":1t1zqsmt said:
If they are first year calvers, then not much feed at all.. as long as the fescue and hay will keep their weight on, I wouldnt feed em. Reason for this is.. all that feed will go directly to the calves.. and could end up having to pull a few of them if they grow too big.
:nod: Yup, I would keep them on hay and minerals and little or no grain.

Ive heard both ways on too much feed going to size of calf. I think a lot of that depends on how cold the winter is.

If they are in BCS of 6, no you shouldn't need any grain if you hay is up to par....8% protein or better I would say. The only thing I might add is let them have lots and lots of room to exercise! Around here anyway Ive known guys that keep them locked up and have more calving trouble than ones that do a lot of walking during the winter.

Latest posts