feed for fattening faster

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

could anybody tell me a feed to try to fatten angus cross romagnola steers as iam having trouble getting a good fat coverage

I mix sweet feed cracked corn and 16% protein grain.feed each 2pds twice a day. with free choice hay.when the weather breaks and there on pasture I cut back once daily just to keep them on rotine of comeing home every day for observation.

How much are you feeding a day. About 2% of the body weight is a good rule-of-thumb. Corn or corn and barley will put the fat on.
That's along with minerals and free choice grass hay

dun

tracy":2iajw3a9 said:
could anybody tell me a feed to try to fatten angus cross romagnola steers as iam having trouble getting a good fat coverage

Dun if you dump out 20# of barley to a 1000# steer you could get a vet bill or worse. We probably need more information.

The barley would be a smal part of the ration. But 20 lbs a day for a 1000 lbs steer would be about right. They need to be ramped up over a couple of weeks to that point and the ration divided in halves, 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening. We don;t use barley because it's too expensive around here.

dun

Ollie":1om57bkm said:
Dun if you dump out 20# of barley to a 1000# steer you could get a vet bill or worse. We probably need more information.

iam feeding each steer(2) around 10kilo sorry about the kilo but am from aus each a day plus hay and iam introducing a feed called copra meal (coconut meal) which is high in energy and protien;one animal is 450kg the other about 400kg;i will be showing them in 8weeks at a hoof & hook show so any suggestions appreciated as i will try anything

tracy":2g0mcp13 said:
iam feeding each steer(2) around 10kilo sorry about the kilo but am from aus each a day plus hay and iam introducing a feed called copra meal (coconut meal) which is high in energy and protien;one animal is 450kg the other about 400kg;i will be showing them in 8weeks at a hoof & hook show so any suggestions appreciated as i will try anything
at least you're feeding the right percentage, it should work, I use mainly corn had never use copra meal

A. delaGarza":pc2n8hv4 said:
tracy":pc2n8hv4 said:
at least you're feeding the right percentage, it should work, I use mainly corn had never use copra meal
:D will try a bit of cracked corn wont do any damage.thanks A delaGarza :cboy:also been told to use lupins do you have them?

Try adding liquid fat or powdered. Your ration needs to be about 3.5% fat.
Feed them all they will clean up in one feeding without walking away (gradually increasing to this point). Feed twice a day at 12 hours apart at the same time every day. Make sure there is no added filler in your feed. Let them get their roughage in their hay. You can tell more from their manuer than anything. It needs to pool slightly but not be runny.

tracy":ystg79xd said:
A. delaGarza":ystg79xd said:
tracy":ystg79xd said:

:D will try a bit of cracked corn wont do any damage.thanks A delaGarza :cboy:also been told to use lupins do you have them?

no, I haven't, what I normally use is a cracked corn with cotton hulls mix, sometimes I add cracked cookies or bread and some minerals but mainly the corn-cotton mix is what I use

Latest posts